Forum Discussion

Michael2062
New Contributor II
5 years ago

TG1682G CAN'T CHANGE DNS

I AM POSTING THIS BECAUSE EVERYTHING ON THIS FORM IS OLD AND THIS ISSUE IS NEW.

LOOKS LIKE MY MODEM/ROUTER INTERFACE HAS CHANGED AND WITH IT THE ABILITY TO SET MY OWN DNS.

eMTA & DOCSIS Software Version: 10.1.10.SIP.PC20.CT

Software Image Name: TG1682COX_3.1p16s1_PROD_sey

THERE IS NO LONGER A WAY TO CHANGE THE DNS - SOME OF MY INSTALL PROGRAMS REQUIRE THAT I CHANGE THE DNS. IS THERE A WAY TO DO THIS ON THIS ROUTER - I KNOW I CAN CHANGE ROUTERS.

3 Replies

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    Changing the DNS addresses unfortunately isn't supported on Cox gateways. You could try changing DNS server addresses on devices that require it and in most cases that will work.

-Chris
    retrohacker
    New Contributor

I'm running into this as well.

My DNS prvoider is hard coded to 68.105.28.11 on my router/modem I rent from COX: https://whois.domaintools.com/68.105.28.11

This is a COX run DNS server. Every time a device on your network tries to resolve a domain name (i.e. your smart TV, laptop, etc) a request gets made to COX allowing them to derive what devices you have in your house (your smarttv will phone home to a roku domain, your xbox to a Microsoft domain, etc.), what websites you frequent, and so on.

I strongly suspect they are trying to monetize this data (build a profile on you about your behavior online and the devices in your home, then sell that profile to third parties). By locking down your DNS to their servers, it guarantees they have access to this data if you rent their hardware.

This seems very shady.

retrohacker
      New Contributor

As a solution you can plug your own router into the modem on ETH 1, set the modem to bridge mode, and it will delegate to your router. Then you can set DNS on your personal router while continuing to use the COX modem (which improves the quality of support you receive).