Forum Discussion

denderson
New Contributor III
5 years ago
Solved

Recently Announced Internet Speed "Boost" Not Working

1) Yesterday, I received an email from Cox stating that I have received a speed boost on my Cox High Speed Internet Preferred service from 100 Mbps to 150 Mbps. 2) The email stated that I needed to reboot my cable modem in order to activate the new speed boost. 3) I have repeatedly rebooted my cable modem over the past 24 hours, both by unplugging and re-plugging in the device, and by using the online cable modem reset process on the Cox website. 4) I have also disconnected and reconnected every Ethernet cable running to and from my cable modem, router and computer. 5) My cable modem is an ARRIS Model SB6183, which does meet the DOCSIS 3.0 requirement necessary to receive the faster internet speed service. 6) My router is TP-LINK Model AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router connected to my computer via a Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller Gigabit Ethernet adapter, which is more than adequate to handle a 150 Mbps internet connection. Given all of that, my connection speed remains exactly what it was prior to my supposed speed boost based upon tests I have run on Cox's website, and the OOKLA Speedtest website, which is usually in the range of 90-95 Mbps, which I test on at least a weekly basis. In other words, I have received no speed boost whatsoever. Is anyone else experiencing a similar result?

• **UPDATE**: I finally received my replacement cable modem, an ARRIS SB6190, and am now receiving my correct Internet speed of 150 Mbps. I still have no idea why my old SB6183 was connecting to my computer and my router at only 100 Mbps, because the specs are clear that it is supposed to contain a Gigabit LAN port. In any event, with a lighter wallet and a faster connection, I sign off from this forum and thank everyone who tried to help. Good luck with your future issues! **END of UPDATE**

Well, after much experimentation, I have isolated my problem to the cable modem itself, my ARRIS SB6183. Even though it supposedly carries specs saying it has an internal Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, I cannot force it to connect to anything faster than 100 Mbps. I used 5 different Ethernet cables, 3 different computers, removed the router from the chain, and even tried disconnecting Cox's cable from the back of the modem, and it stubbornly insists on connecting to anything and everything at no more than 100 Mbps. All I can conclude is that either the specs are wrong, and that the modem does NOT contain a Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, or that it is defective, and is downgrading itself to a 100 Mbps connection to compensate for an internal malfunction. Either way, the only remaining step is to try another cable modem, which I do not have at this time. If I take that step, I will report back with an update. I might just surrender and live with it.

36 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • I am having this same issue. My speed is the same as it was before the boost, around 94 Mbps. I have completed the restart/reset multiple times and it is still the same. My modem is the Arris SB6183.

denderson
      New Contributor III

We have the same cable modem, and mine is establishing only a 100 Mbps connection with my desktop computer when I remove my router from the chain, despite the fact that the modem contains a Gigabit Ethernet Port, and my computer has a Gigabit Ethernet Adapter. I suspect that Cox has a way to limit the Ethernet connection speed of the modem in order to enforce the speed limits imposed by our service level, and has failed to adjust it to accommodate the so-called "speed boost." I know they can override the default settings of my cable modem, because they long ago removed my ability to reboot the modem using the configuration settings under the modem's internal web page, so I'm guessing they can throttle its Ethernet connection speed as well. Perhaps this will be resolved in time, but in the meantime, I'll continue tweaking things and see what happens. Thanks for responding. At least I know I'm not alone.

Turbojoe
      New Contributor II

Same here. Multiple resets at modem and router. Also resets from the Cox support page. If anything speeds have dropped slightly. 

denderson
        New Contributor III

Thanks for sharing. I know this not just my problem anymore.

denderson
    New Contributor III

**UPDATE**: I finally received my replacement cable modem, an ARRIS SB6190, and am now receiving my correct Internet speed of 150 Mbps. I still have no idea why my old SB6183 was connecting to my computer and my router at only 100 Mbps, because the specs are clear that it is supposed to contain a Gigabit LAN port. In any event, with a lighter wallet and a faster connection, I sign off from this forum and thank everyone who tried to help. Good luck with your future issues! **END of UPDATE**

Well, after much experimentation, I have isolated my problem to the cable modem itself, my ARRIS SB6183. Even though it supposedly carries specs saying it has an internal Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, I cannot force it to connect to anything faster than 100 Mbps. I used 5 different Ethernet cables, 3 different computers, removed the router from the chain, and even tried disconnecting Cox's cable from the back of the modem, and it stubbornly insists on connecting to anything and everything at no more than 100 Mbps. All I can conclude is that either the specs are wrong, and that the modem does NOT contain a Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, or that it is defective, and is downgrading itself to a 100 Mbps connection to compensate for an internal malfunction. Either way, the only remaining step is to try another cable modem, which I do not have at this time. If I take that step, I will report back with an update. I might just surrender and live with it.

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    @denderson Hi Denderson, your modem levels appear to be within the normal range, and I do not see any packet loss at this time. When you performed these speed tests, were you on a wireless connection or hard-wired connection? -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

Is the plan provisioned for 150 Mbps?

denderson
        New Contributor III

Cox claims it is in the email message I received, and it shows up that way on my Cox web account.

denderson
      New Contributor III

As I stated in my post, "My router is TP-LINK Model AC1750 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router connected to my computer via a Realtek PCI GBE Family Controller Gigabit Ethernet adapter," so, it is a hard-wired connection. I have continued rebooting my modem checking my speed and there has been no increase.

denderson
      New Contributor III

Incidentally, when I created this post, I indicated that I wanted to receive notices when it received replies, but that has not happened. I'm sorry it took me a few days to respond, but now that I know I'm getting replies, I will monitor this post daily.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Any specs printed alongside the cable(s)?

denderson
      New Contributor III

If you're referring to the Ethernet cables, all of them are brand new, Cat 6.

CrystalS
        Former Moderator
        @denderson Hello Denderson. The Ethernet cables from the router to the devices are Cat 6. What kind of ethernet cable is connecting the modem to the router, this can slow down speeds if that cable is not a Cat 6. -Crystal
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Have you rebooted your router?  Although it's the same modem and router, the configuration has changed on the ISP side. Perhaps the routing table is failing to update.  Let the modem and router renegotiate their connection.

Unplug modem and router for a few minutes...reconnect modem and allow it to negotiate with Cox...reconnect router and allow it to negotiate with the modem.

denderson
      New Contributor III

Yes, I did, and the same problem persisted. However, by removing the router from the connection I discovered that the cable modem was limiting the connection speed from the modem to the router. I think there might be a glitch with the speed upgrade process from Cox. We shall see.

BrianM
        @denderson Did you test with the same ethernet cable that was connected from the router to the computer previously or the same cord that was connected from the modem to the router? I am seeing 100 Mbps from the modem to whichever device you have connected to currently. I wanted to make sure that this cord was either a cat5e or cat6 and not an older cat5 as those would limit the speed to 100 Mbps.

Brian
        Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Can a moderator verify if the SB6183 has an Auto-negotiation feature on its configuration page?

Did Arris always build this modem with a 1 Gbps LAN port...or did the initials only have 100 Mbps ports?  Broadband Hardware specs the port as Fast Ethernet.  This modem obviously has 1 Gbps ports, but it begs the question about earlier models.

Does your modem have a Manufactured Date on its sticker?

What colors are your channel LED lights:  blue, green, orange?

denderson
      New Contributor III

No manufactured date on my SB6183, and the LED lights are blue & green.

Atarwii
    New Contributor

I'm using a Netgear C3000-100NAS and initally got the speed boost and now my speeds are actually slower than they were before the boost. Cox needs to fix this and soon.

PadresFan
    New Contributor

This may not apply to your situation, but if anybody is using QOS on their router, you can still use it but there is a step in that setup (at least on Netgear router) that is critical...Netgear has a step under QOS setup where you have to run a speed test so it knows how to adjust its settings accordingly. If your speed from your ISP is increased later on, you must run that test again. When I did that, I got the 50 meg boost in my own speed test run outside of the router...just wanted to put that out there for consumption.

ekhawaii
      Contributor

QOS....you learn something every day....thanks for the pointer.  Went to my Netgear C6900 website.  Went to the Advanced tab, then Setup.  Looked under Internet Setup and/or Lan Setup.  I could not find any item called QOS....this feature must not be part of mine....but still interesting that one may be able to increase priority of on of the 4 Ethernet ports.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

For wired connections, the feature should be under Priority Category > Ethernet LAN Ports.

• I too received that message and was paying for the Internet Preferred and was getting around 70 to 80 Mbps depending on what time of the day, now I am getting less than 20 but exactly 17.5 Mbps Down and 9.00 Up. We are paying around 90.00 bucks a month for service that is sub standard. I too have upgraded to their preferred modem and I am using a high-end CradlePoint so I have the option of having a 4g cellular backup if needed when Cox goes out, which it has more than I like. I have tried getting them to respond to this and I am getting nowhere. I guess it's time to just use a 4g connection with my cellular provider and forget about Cox all together???

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi Cripplemyers, when performing these speed tests, are you on a hard-wired connection or wireless connection? We strongly suggest performing the speed tests on a hard-wired connection. Also, can you please check and make sure that all connections are tightly secured and free of damage? Your modem is currently not communicating with us. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator