Forum Discussion

Nick-G
New Contributor
5 years ago

Extreme increase in data usage

Like other posts related to this issue, I have been recently noticing very high data usage. My household consists of my wife, my 12-year-old child and me. My wife and I are out at work and hence do not use home internet as much. My daughter who is now home for the vacation just watches some Netflix and does not play any online games. My data usage last month for the very first time in over a decade being with COX, showed that I have a very high usage of data and that too within 15 days into the month.. I had no choice and forced to get an additional 500gb for $29.99+tax. Now, just about 4 days into this current billing cycle, I see data usage of over 6% (per day about 27gb approx) and i have reset the modem and router multiple times and also have been following what was suggested by Cox in regards to resetting wifi passwords etc, but the usage has been on a constant high... If we continue with this, we will be just about 1tb usage by the end of this billing period and/or over that.

I am not getting much help from cox because they only keep saying that i have to manage things from my end. But I have not added any new devices or made any changes to what we used to do for all these years then why all of a sudden we see this hike in data usage. When our parents lived with us a couple of years ago, the tv (Netflix / youtube / other streaming medias) would be on 24/7 and yet we never heard about this situation. I am sure that Cox has some sort of control and can possibly help it's customers from this situation or else, we would have no choice than moving out of this network and going to another provider.

Please suggest / please help.

thanks

Nick

1 Reply

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi Nick-G. You can log into your router to verify that only your devices are connected to your networks. Also, make sure that once you are done watching Netflix on a device, you turn off the device or log out of Netflix as it could continue to use data even if you are not watching it. You want to make sure that all devices that use data are turned off when not in use. Also, run a virus scan on computers and tablets. Thanks, Lisa - Cox Support Forums Moderator