Forum Discussion

Xini
New Contributor II
5 years ago

Wi-Fi theft or double usage

What can I do or what can I provide to prove that someone is accessing my account. The information Cox is requesting is something I need to request from Cox, so they already have access to it. There are infact apps that will let you hack people's Wi-Fi   secCox EVERYBODY'sreps and technician swear that it is impossible,. While trying to trouble shoot why my account had so many devices connected to it,  I was able to use my Cox internet configuration on my cell phone as a hot spot,, EVEN  though my account was on a seasonal hold.  All they can do is reset my router and tell me to not give out my password. Is it possible to gain access if I connected my laptop to my hot spot if my phone was cloned? From my previous connections on my laptop.?

2 Replies

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Xini, Cox does everything it can to ensure the safety and security of customer privacy information. I am including a few articles which I hope may provide additional insight on ways to safeguard your private information. This article provides information on securing your Cox account, http://bit.ly/2XX4LNH. In addition, this article provides details on how to protect yourself from identity theft, http://bit.ly/2XXnHvJ.

To ensure that your laptops and PC devices are protected, I recommend downloading our McAfee Security Suite. The Anti-Virus software is free to use on up to five devices, http://bit.ly/2VbZEff. If you are currently using our Panoramic WiFi modem, it does come with the free app, http://bit.ly/2KArX29. With the Panoramic WiFi App, it allows you full control over your in-home network. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to email us at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

"What can I do or what can I provide to prove that someone is accessing my account."

Define "account."  What specifically is someone accessing...your account on the Cox webpage...the private network in your home...a networked device?

-----

"The information Cox is requesting is something I need to request from Cox, so they already have access to it."

What is the information:  your account PIN...account number...password...IP address?  If it's sensitive information, Cox may have it but they don't know who you are until you verify it.  I don't have your account PIN.  Cox has your account PIN.  Should I call Cox for it?

-----

"There are infact apps that will let you hack people's Wi-Fi   secCox EVERYBODY'sreps and technician swear that it is impossible."

It is possible to "hack people's Wi-Fi" but it's also possible to not make it easy.

-----

"While trying to trouble shoot why my account had so many devices connected to it,  I was able to use my Cox internet configuration on my cell phone as a hot spot,, EVEN  though my account was on a seasonal hold."

Again, define "account."  Just because Cox services in your home are on Seasonal Hold, it doesn't mean your login credentials are on Seasonal Hold.  Shouldn't you be able to check webmail while on vacation?  Shouldn't you be able to logon to a Cox Hotspot while on vacation?

-----

"All they can do is reset my router and tell me to not give out my password."

There are reboots, resets and reprovisions and each has a distinct function.  Good advice for passwords.

-----

Is it possible to gain access if I connected my laptop to my hot spot if my phone was cloned? From my previous connections on my laptop.?

From my deciphering, I think you're talking about 2 distinct connections:  (1) Cox Hotspot & (2) Personal Hotspot.  If you connect your laptop to a Cox Hotspot and your laptop also has a Personal Hotspot program, other devices can connect to your laptop and share the connection of your Cox Hotspot.

If your phone was previously connected to a Cox Hotspot but you now want to connect your phone to the Personal Hotspot of your laptop, it'd be a different connection.  You'd have to now connect your phone to the Personal Hotspot of your laptop...and not Cox.

Did you know you can connect 3 devices to a Cox Hotspot at the same time?  If your laptop is in range of a Cox Hotspot and your phone is in range of your laptop, why not connect both to the Cox Hotspot?