Forum Discussion

sph
New Contributor III
5 years ago
Solved

Email Client No Longer Able to Receive Emails?

So I'll add to the posted email issue posts... as of yesterday my email client can no longer receive emails.  I can send all day long, but cannot receive... see linked error images.  Anyone have any ideas / solutions?  Thanks.

Receive error...

Successful Send w Receive Fail...

• ended up having to install an alternate email client that supports cox's new security protocols... back to being able send AND receive emails...

(and again cox, thanks for ZERO notice of this change being implemented!) - essentially rendering obsolete many of their customer's email clients with nary a word of warning...

16 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    sph
    New Contributor III

so if this has to do with cox updating their encryption requirements, was there any notification sent from cox to their customers they were doing this? completely dismissive of cox if they basically rendered obsolete so many of their customer's email clients with nary a word of warning... i received no such notification before this change took place.

and this from another thread...

As of 04/24/19, all email sent from a Cox Email address must use TLS 1.0 security encryption or higher. As a result, Cox no longer supports sending email through email clients using SSL security encryption version 3.0 or older.

if what KevinM2 (-Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator) posted is accurate (sending requires TLS 1.0 or higher) and my issue is related to not meeting the TLS 1.0 encryption requirement, why am i still able to send email, but not receive?

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi Sph, have you tried removing the Cox email from the Client Server of your device, and re-entering the Cox email with the incoming and outgoing settings? If this does not work, we would also recommend changing your Cox password and ensuring this matches with the incoming and outgoing settings. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
        sph
        New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply Kevin M. Yes, created and tested new client email account(s) matching cox settings for incoming and outgoing and reset passwords, both to same error result as OP.

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hello, can you send and receive emails on myemail.cox.net? If so, we would recommend changing your password, bit.ly/2KOrZnd. Once the password is changed, please make sure this new password is reflected in the incoming and outgoing settings. The incoming POP server is still 995, and all email sent from a Cox Email address must use TLS 1.0 security encryption or higher. As a result, Cox no longer supports sending email through email clients using SSL security encryption version 3.0 or older. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
      leatherlady
      New Contributor III

Kevin,  Can you please explain how to find out if I have TLS 1.0 or higher security encryption?  I am able to send and receive to all domains but Cox since yesterday. Only my Cox contacts are not receiving my emails, but I am receiving theirs.  My outgoing port is set to 587. 

Becky
        Hi Leatherlady, logging into Cox Webmail (myemail.cox.net) and sending a test message to yourself will tell us if the issue is on the Cox side or within your Outlook profile settings. To check Outlook settings, open Outlook and click on File, then Account Settings. (In older versions of Outlook, click on Tools and then Account Settings.) From the Account Settings window, select your Cox Email account, then click Change. On the Change Account window, ensure your incoming and outgoing server names are correct based on the POP or IMAP settings found at www.cox.com/.../cox-email-server-settings.html. Under Logon Information, enter your username and password, and then click More Settings. From the Internet Email Settings window, click the Outgoing Server tab. Make sure there's a check in the "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication" box and the “Use the same settings as my incoming mail server” box is selected. Click on the Advanced tab and the Incoming server and Outgoing server port numbers per the “Cox Email Server Settings” article. In the “Use the following type of encrypted connection” drop-down boxes by the Incoming and Outgoing port fields, select SSL/TLS. Click OK. From the “Change Account” window, click Next or Finish. Click on your Outbox and delete any emails stuck in the Outbox. Close Outlook completely. Reopen Outlook and compose a new message to your email address. Type “test” in the Subject line and “This is a test.” In the body of the email, and then click send. Do you get an error? Does the message arrive in your Webmail and Outlook Inboxes? -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

I get the same timeouts with Outlook 2007.

I've increased timeouts to 3, 5...10 minutes!...and the servers won't respond.

I changed my account password online, no help.

I deleted and recreated my email account via Control Panel and Outlook numerous times, no help.

I created both POP and IMAP accounts in accordance with Cox Email Server Settings, no help.

I entered all correct ports, selected all correct options and enabled TLS; no help.

Every time I test my account(s), I receive the Microsoft Office Outlook Test Message in my webmail.  There are probably 23 test messages in webmail waiting to download to Outlook.

I just can't log onto the servers (pop.cox.net...imap.cox.net...smtp.cox.net) and download email.

Swamper
    New Contributor III

I am another one. My email client connections are refused by the Cox server so I can no longer receive Cox email. It wern't broke but Cox fixed it anyway. WHY FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROKE?

sph
      New Contributor III
      WHY FIX IT IF IT AIN'T BROKE?

Off topic, but when it comes to computer software, in many cases forced obsolescence imo... often done under the guise of benefiting the marketplace... makes one upgrade (buy) new software, stimulates the economy (at least for software companies ;-) + legacy = headache for providers due to software cos. no longer providing updates.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

...and to force more traffic onto your website.  Customers can't see your trinkets and bobbles in an email client.