Forum Discussion

CardiffGiant-11
New Contributor
6 years ago

Upstream Signal Low?

Hi,

Trying to solve an issue with Ring cameras and I think I'm narrowing it down to actually a signal issue with my modem that I never noticed until the Ring devices brought it to my attention. Specifically, Ring's support has said they are seeing packet loss on my devices. My modem is an Arris 6141 and the upload looks low between 35 and 37dbvm on each of the 4 channels. I no longer subscribe to cable TV and have a direct line to the modem. I  have seen instances referenced here where a inline trap is installed causing this issue. Any other ideas what the problem could be? Here is a screenshot. 

https://prnt.sc/ngghge

3 Replies

• Those numbers are slightly lower than normal, but I do not believe it is impacting the performance of your modem from what I can see here. It does not seem to be experiencing any timeout errors or any packet loss when I tested it just now. If this is a constant issue, this may have something to do with the signal between your wireless router and the devices themselves from what I can see with your modem history.

Brian
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      CardiffGiant-11
      New Contributor

Thanks, we've tried a number of wifi options (two mesh, one two airport extreme setup) and signal is strong to the device. May just be an issue on Rings side. The only change I made prior to this screen shot was the modem didn't have the direct line from where the cable comes from the street. It was connected to a three way splitter that had two other now unused coax lines connected. Performance of the Ring device seems improved since then so maybe the numbers were different prior to wiring direct.

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hello, we are currently not detecting any packet loss at this time and your signal levels look great. Here is a link which I hope you may find useful, http://bit.ly/2Kq4uR5. It provides detailed information on WiFi recommendations and fixing slow speeds. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator