Forum Discussion

Feels_Bad_Man
New Contributor
5 years ago

Constant Modem Disconnects and T3 Timeouts FIX***

Hello Boys, Its that time again. Cox internet going out every 30 minutes. My modem would restart and search for signal every time i tried to play games or anything. Had three technicians come out and try to fix the problem. They blamed my modem. They blamed the wiring. They could clearly see alot of "Noise" in my line and even unplugged our neighbors lines saying it was leaking into mine. This did nothing but turn off our neighbors internet. The blamed the cables not being tight enough. They replaced all cabling outside from the street to the modem. I tried Three different modems. None of the modems could stay online. So after lots of research.

Cox put a 6 Db Attenuator FAM6 on the back of my modem when they installed it months ago. Its about an inch long. This POS lowers download signal power to your modem but INCREASES upload power levels to a level higher than your modem can safely keep a signal. After your modem reaches over 55+ db of noise of upload stream it will turn off and reset and search for a signal again (T3 timeout). It will do this constantly. Yesterday my internet was out for 4 hours of my modem searching for a connection. I took out the 6db attenuator off the back of the modem and the internet was instantly back and stable. Also Multiple splitters in your lines can also have the same effect. SInce the removal of the attenuator my connection has been stable ever since.  I have also ordered a ARRIS Amplifier signal booster with passive line return from amazon. This will keep your upload power lower and always at a safe level for your modem so it will not constantly reset. A ton of youtubers have said these devices have fixed their t3 timeouts and with passive return it will not hurt the rest of the people on your node. If u active return it will boost your upload on the return and likely cause problems for neighbors.

TLDR. Take off your 6db attenuator from back of modem. Reduce as many splitters in your lines as possible. Purchase a amplifier signal booster with either active return or passive return

1 Reply

JonathanJ
    Former Moderator
    @Feels Bad Man

I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused and we like to investigate. Please email your full name, address and include this link to cox.help@cox.com.

Cox Moderator