Forum Discussion

Neuro2015
New Contributor III
5 years ago

Intermittent Email send/receive failures with POP3 - Usual issue every few months - PLEASE FIX

For the past couple weeks now, I've been experiencing the infamous & intermittent email send/receive failures, like many other customers in these forums have been reporting.

My system specs:
Windows 10 Pro x64, version 1809, all updates installed
MS Windows Defender active, no other security packages
MS Office Outlook 2007
Cox Internet Preferred package

My issues:
For the past couple weeks, my various Cox email accounts have intermittent problems sending or receiving emails through Outlook 2007. When receiving emails, I'll get the Outlook pop-up error window stating the infamous 'Enter Network Password'.

This issue happens consistently, all day long with all my Cox email accounts...then emails will suddenly work again temporarily...then the issue reappears, rinse & repeat...it's an ongoing cycle of working/not working throughout the day for the past couple weeks now.

I don't bother calling Support about this because they usually blame Outlook and do nothing about it. It's not an Outlook problem...or a Windows Defender problem, or a security setting problem. Everything works great, when it works...then this sudden issue pops once or twice a year, as so many other customers have been reporting. And as mentioned by other customers, Cox somewhat acknowledges that they know about this problem with email and it's been kicked upstairs for a harder look.

In the past, I've reset my Outlook settings for the Cox emails, tried different settings and ports according to the Cox email support docs, and even deleted my Cox email account profiles within Outlook and recreated them (in case they were corrupted). Nothing has worked.

This happens regularly, so please Cox...don't ask the usual questions about using Webmail, trying another computer, etc. We know, and you know, this has been a persistent, recurring issue with Cox email accounts for many years and these suggestions don't work or fix anything. Usually, Cox Support hems & haws and says they're working on it...or they wrongly blame Outlook...and nothing gets resolved.

Eventually, somewhere in the deep basement of Cox, some tech support genius who lives down there, does something that magically fixes the issue.

I pay a lot of money every month and expect working email. Please fix this email issues ASAP.

Thank you.

14 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Cattle_Dog
    New Contributor

Same issue here in Omaha. So, like Cox recommended, I am not using Outlook but am going directly to the Cox webmail site.  I get a message saying the "server might be down." Yes, indeed it might. Like 15 times a day.

I have, at Cox's behest, bought new phones, laptop, modem, router, had the house rewired inside and out - and what a LOVELY job they did...NOT. You would think that they could string a contrasting black cable around light siding in a straight line but it looks like a drunk spider had an outing on the house.  Of course, my phones haven't consistently worked, either, for almost a year so I now have the extra expense of a Tracfone to call Cox and for emergencies.

RobinB
    New Contributor II

same thing here in Fairfax Virginia.. been going on for over 24 hours now.  i DO NOT like to use the webmail.  i want to use my Outlook..... Please fix it.

DR-SanDiego
    New Contributor

I've got the same problem here in San Diego.  It has been going on for several days.

DR-SanDiego
    New Contributor

The problem goes away late at night when there are a low number of people try to access their email.

I have 8 cox email account and 6 with gmail. Thus when I have Outlook check them all, there are a total of 14 accounts it needs to check.

At 10 O'Clock PM Pacific Daylight time a send/receive check take only 13 seconds to poll all of them.

During the day it can take several minutes to complete.

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. We are aware of the issue and working towards a resolution thanks for your patience.

Cox Moderator
        RobinB
        New Contributor II

here in Fairfax VA we STILL cannot use our outlook- now almost two days.  this is ridiculous.

Neuro2015
      New Contributor III

That's interesting. I have several Cox email addresses and business email addresses that are hosted on my web host...and it only takes a few seconds to check them when everything is working right. 

Recon
    New Contributor

Working fine in Phoenix. Was acting goofy yesterday.

Neuro2015
    New Contributor III

Come on...it's been over a week since I posted about this issue, but it's still going on and there's been no response from Cox support about it. 

peggy8080
      Contributor

I have had the same problem for over two weeks. Today has been the worst day by far.

Swamper
    New Contributor III

Today, 4-25-19, Cox rejects connection by my email client. Try to look at email via webmail and webmail is "not available".

Rhode Island area.

BrianM
      We have received an all clear alert around 12pm EST today. Please try again and see if it works now.

Brian
      Cox Support Forum Moderator