Forum Discussion

zmcara
New Contributor II
6 years ago
Solved

Gigablast Activation

Before today i had the 300 meg service with 500gig of extra data plan.

I went into a cox store to upgrade to Gigablast (using my own brand new modem -Arris SB8200).

I was advised by the rep that I could get both unlimited data and homelife for only 10/mo more (no contract).

I decided to do that.

She then asked if i had my new modem with me (i did), so i brought it into the store and she said she activated it for me.

Went home, the modem was NOT activated.

Went back to the store and the guy advised the first person hadnt put in the mac address for the modem.

Went back home and this time the modem was active.

However, the lights on the front are green and not blue (which im led to believe means im not on the 3.1 streams).

I chatted in the and the chat guy for Cox said it's not active yet and to call a number (1-405-600-7676)

I called that number and the nice lady said i WAS active already on gigablast.

I advised how multiple speed test sites (speedtest.net, cox's own speed test, etc.) indicate in the range of 300meg AND how the router lights are still green AND how the 1st chat person said it wasnt active yet.

She said have the homelife guy look at it when he comes.

I chatted in more time after that and the 2nd chat person ALSO said it was NOT active and could NOT be made active until homelife is active for reasons that im not entirely sure of.

Is it accurate to say that since i got talked into homelife i now have to wait for that to be setup BEFORE i can get my gigablast speeds? I do not know how the two things are interwined and why a switch couldnt be flipped right now to put me on the faster internet speeds.

(on my own i tested multiple ethernet cables, reset the modem and router, powercycled the modem, tried hooking PC directly to the modem, tried different outlets (store guy's suggestion....still same speed prior to the upgrade)

• This issue is now resolved. I have my gig speeds. The guy that came out today was great, in the weather and he was climbing poles, redoing wiring in the cold. Amazing job and all is well!

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    zmcara
    New Contributor II

This issue is now resolved. I have my gig speeds. The guy that came out today was great, in the weather and he was climbing poles, redoing wiring in the cold. Amazing job and all is well!

• Looking at your signal levels remotely, I see that several of the downstream channels are well outside the normal operating range (-37 to -40dB, when the rest are around the normal range of 8 to 9dB). Outside of removing any unneeded splitters or anything of that nature, we will likely need a technician out to the home to investigate this further. If that is the case, please email us at cox.help@cox.com with your service address along with a link to this thread and we can setup a service appointment.

Brian
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      zmcara
      New Contributor II

Thanks Brian. I have sent an email as requested. I also pasted into that email my chat log with Arris support who indicate the issue is on Cox's side as a "provisioning" problem. (their full reply in case i dont explain it right, is in the email)

JonathanJ
        Former Moderator
        @Zmcara

We'have received your email and responded.

Cox Moderator