Forum Discussion

clin0812
New Contributor
6 years ago

very slow upload speeds

Hello,

I have the Ultimate internet package which gives up to 300mbps download and up to 30 mbps upload, but the last few days, ive been getting from .1 to .7 mbps upload speeds. My download speed is fine, 250-350 mbps according to speedtest and I am also using an ethernet connection. I have a netgear r7000 that i just recently updated because I thought that might have been the cause, but nothing changed after the update. Im very lost here, the only explanation i have is that its on Cox's side.

2 Replies

mattnmo
    New Contributor

Hello Clin-,

I have been reporting similar issues with intermittent choked upload speeds over the past few months. I have since upgraded to a new DOCSIS 3.1 modem, purchased a new NIC (desktop), cross-referenced the same issue with different network cables to my laptop NIC (old and new modem). Same results. The issue seems to be more prevalent during the evening and weekends. 

A work friend also has the same package, lives in the same region (different node), but has seen no issues. Additionally, when I'm having the issue, we test the same speed checks (Cox site, and Speedtest) to the same endpoitns, with different uploads. Usually I'll average right under 10Mbps (sometimes lower), when he has a consistent 20-30Mbps. 

Several technicians have come out to my residence, all testing appropriate speeds from the modem. One technician did replace some older configurations at the junction box outside the home, but has not helped. Another technician scheduled for a line technician to come out, which happened today. Unfortunately, this was a contractor who had another modem to replace. He was at the house all but 5 minutes and left without saying a word. I will be calling in AGAIN to report the same issues this evening, but it's doubtful anyone will do anything other than noting my account I have "internet issues". Very dissatisfied is an understatement.

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Clin0812, slow upload speeds can be extremely aggravating, and we're sorry you have to experience this. Can you please unplug your modem, wait ten seconds and plug it back in? Also, would you be able to run an ethernet cord from the PC or laptop directly to the back of the modem and perform a speed test for us?

www.cox.com/.../speedtest.html

By taking the Netgear router of the equation, this may help to determine the root cause of the slow upload speeds. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator