Forum Discussion

JasonFFX
New Contributor
6 years ago

Add more Ethernet ports with Panoramic modem/router

I recently got the Cox Panoramic modem/router (Technicolor CGM4140COM) which has 2 Ethernet ports.  This replaced my old Wi-Fi router (Netgear R6100) which had 4 ports.  Is there any way to use the Panoramic and gain more Ethernet ports?  I’m open to other suggestions if I don’t have to use the Panoramic, but I have Cox phone service so I assume I have to.  My ultimate goal is to have my networked printer visible to both wired and wireless computers.

I tried wiring the Panoramic to the Netgear and plugged the printer into the Netgear, but only PCs connected into Netgear can see it.  PCs on the Panoramic can’t (wired or wireless).  I guessing each of these routers is handing out IPs differently or something.  Any recommendations?

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

You don't have to use (keep renting) the Panoramic.  If you like the Netgear, buy a Cox-compatible modem and keep using Netgear.  If you have Cox Voice, Cox must freely loan you a telephone modem (eMTA).  You'll then have 3 devices:  Internet modem, eMTA and R6100.

If your Netgear is dated...I don't know....buy a new WiFi with a USB port to share your printer...or 2 ports to share a drive.

JasonFFX
      New Contributor

Thanks for the informative alternative.  I wasn't aware of a phone modem.  I'll keep that in mind.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Yeah...you can purchase your own Internet modem and router, and Cox will still have to freely issue an eMTA.  They like to lump 3 PoS devices into 1 and then collect rental fees for more than its worth.

If you do purchase a new router and want to share a printer from it via USB, ensure the router has either built-in print-server software or the ability for you to install print-server software.