Forum Discussion

Destin65
New Contributor III
6 years ago

Elder Scrolls Online Problem

My girlfriend plays Elder Scrolls Online and every time there is an update we have to pull our hair out for days on end trying to get the game to update. This last time nothing at all worked and after contacting Bethesda Software about the issue it turns out that Cox Cable is blocking the port which the game uses to update itself.

Presumably it is TCP port 80. And we know it is your fault because Bethesda has already attempted to make contact with you about it. We tried everyhing from setting up the modem to do all the port forwarding to reinstalling everything, all to no avail.

I want to know when you are going to fix this problem and stop blocking internet users. I'm already mad that you increased our rates for December without even bothering to let me know which I will be reporting to the Better Business Bureau and Federal Trade Commission for charging me the price for the tier above mine which I gave no consent to. And now with my girlfriend already having lost 3 days of paid time in the game, I am expecting to be compensated for both the overcharge and inability to use what we paid for. Which is non-negotiable and you cannot reject.

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Destin65
    New Contributor III

Here, there is no denying that Cox itself is part of the problem through their rush to judgement in treating their customers like criminals.

https://www.cox.com/residential/support/internet-ports-blocked-or-restricted-by-cox.html

Read Cox's very own webpage in which they state that they block TCP Port 80 to prevent their customers from using the Internet. The video game requires TCP Port 80 to be open in order to receive updates and work. 

So here I am paying $95 for a 50 MBps connection I cannot use and $60 for game purchase (with a DLC included) and $14.99 monthly subscription for a game that cannot be played.

KevinM2
      Former Moderator
      Hi Destin, we value your feedback. Port 80 has been blocked due to security reasons. Are you experiencing performance issues with your internet service? -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
        BlueParrot
        New Contributor II

I am cancelling my cox Internet service after twenty years because of this issues. AT&T has fiber to my house and lower prices on top tier service with no data limits. You have been torturing me for months. I have played this game for years and in the last several months it does not work. If AT&T has the same policy at least I will save $30 a month and use that to purchase a VPN suscription.

Destin65
    New Contributor III

Our internet in general is also acting up as if it's not fully working. Try to stream something and it cuts out constantly making it unwatchable and causes programs to have to restart to regain a connection.

CarolLM
      Former Moderator
      Hi there, we want your service to work as it should. If you're experiencing issues, we'd like to take a look at your modem and get this resolved. To do so please share a Facebook private message, Twitter direct message or an email to cox.help@cox.com including your complete address, account name, and a link to your forum post. -Thanks, Carol
        BlueParrot
        New Contributor II

you are blocking 68.106.66.135 port 80. That is why the game cannot run. I van get service from AT&T fiber for $30 less than your top tier home service. That will allow me to afford a good VPN if I have to have one to play the most popular game on the internet. If it isn't fixed by this evening then I can going to move my account to AT&T in the next week after having been a Cox customer for nearly twenty years.

Destin65
    New Contributor III

THESE ARE THE PORTS THAT ARE REQUIRED TO BE OPEN AND ACCESSIBLE ACCORDING TO BETHESDA SOFTWARE WHO DEVELOPED THE GAME.

TCP / UDP Ports 24100 through 24131
    TCP / UDP Ports 24500 through 24507
    TCP / UDP Ports 24300 through 24331
    TCP Port 80
    TCP Port 433

Becky
      Hi Destin65, your modem/gateway is reporting intermittent packet loss. Unscrew the coax cable from the wall outlet and the back of the modem, and then screw them back on. This will fix a cable-connector interface problem. Are there any splitters on the coax connection to your modem? Bypass the splitter if possible, and then power cycle the modem. If the intermittent connectivity continues, I suggest a service call so an on-site technician can further investigate. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
        Destin65
        New Contributor III

Been there, done that a few days ago. Cox Tech Support on Twitter has confirmed there's nothing wrong with the connection, what is wrong is Cox "filtering" ports that the video game requires to be open in order to even work.

BlueParrot
    New Contributor II

AT&T may have fiber to your house for considerably less than Cox is charging. I am switching after being a Cox internet subscriber for almost twenty years. But this is unexcusable. If I have to use a VPN at $10 a month just to play one of the most popular games online thenI clearly do not Cox for my ISP.