Forum Discussion

MCPerfect
New Contributor
6 years ago
Solved

Packet Loss & Lags - Please Help!

Not an expert here but I have followed various suggestions to reset devices, ipconfig release/renew/flushdns, connect directly to the Netgear modem, etc. The issue only started to happen the morning of 12/5/2018 (i'm in the Irvine CA area).  I'm attaching the WinMTR output below please let me know what you think.

I'm also curious about the second hop (10.72.32.1) on the output. I thought it's supposed to be my modem right after the router? I can ping my modem 192.168.100.1 just fine with no packet lost, though.  So I don't think I need to buy a new modem.

Any assistance is much appreciated!

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| router.asus.com - 0 | 500 | 500 | 0 | 0 | 5 | 0 |
| 10.72.32.1 - 21 | 277 | 221 | 5 | 9 | 32 | 6 |
| ip68-4-12-128.oc.oc.cox.net - 26 | 247 | 183 | 0 | 10 | 29 | 12 |
| 100.120.104.0 - 22 | 271 | 213 | 0 | 12 | 80 | 12 |
| 68.1.1.171 - 21 | 275 | 218 | 0 | 14 | 51 | 10 |
| 70.191.61.10 - 26 | 247 | 183 | 0 | 13 | 36 | 14 |
| ae1-br01-eqla1.as57976.net - 26 | 247 | 183 | 0 | 16 | 108 | 10 |
| be1-pe02-eqla1.as57976.net - 26 | 251 | 188 | 0 | 13 | 36 | 15 |
| 24.105.30.129 - 22 | 271 | 213 | 0 | 13 | 39 | 17 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

Becky
    6 years ago
    Hi MCPerfect, my bet is that the splitter has come to the end of its lifespan and needs to be replaced. However, it is also possible that the amp has failed or is no longer necessary. Are you able to bypass the splitter and connect the modem directly to the coax from the cable outlet? If so, reset the modem after bypassing the splitter. Then run a test in your game environment and see if the packet loss and latency issues continue. If there is no packet loss or lag, replace the splitter. You can pick up a decent splitter at stores like Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Amazon, or any electronics store. Cox recommends a coaxial 5-1000 MHz splitter with a signal loss of only 3.5dB on each output port. If bypassing and/or replacing the splitter doesn't completely resolve the packet loss and latency issues, you can bypass the amplifier and test your gaming environment again. If you still experience issues after replacing the splitter, I recommend scheduling a service call so an on-site technician can determine if the amplifier is still necessary. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi MCPerfect, your modem is reporting packet loss. Are there any splitters on the coax connection to the modem? -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      MCPerfect
      New Contributor

https://ibb.co/yB8j0JG

Hi Becky! Yes, I found these in the closet.  A splitter next to a "Amplifier".  What should I do next?

And thanks for your help on this!

Becky
        Hi MCPerfect, my bet is that the splitter has come to the end of its lifespan and needs to be replaced. However, it is also possible that the amp has failed or is no longer necessary. Are you able to bypass the splitter and connect the modem directly to the coax from the cable outlet? If so, reset the modem after bypassing the splitter. Then run a test in your game environment and see if the packet loss and latency issues continue. If there is no packet loss or lag, replace the splitter. You can pick up a decent splitter at stores like Walmart, Target, Home Depot, Amazon, or any electronics store. Cox recommends a coaxial 5-1000 MHz splitter with a signal loss of only 3.5dB on each output port. If bypassing and/or replacing the splitter doesn't completely resolve the packet loss and latency issues, you can bypass the amplifier and test your gaming environment again. If you still experience issues after replacing the splitter, I recommend scheduling a service call so an on-site technician can determine if the amplifier is still necessary. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator