Forum Discussion

HGW
New Contributor
6 years ago

2018 -7/29 - Webmail - Cox is blocking my outgoing (not incoming) Outlook emails as spam for last several days

Win10, Outlook 2016 - Message from Cox - "552 5.2.0 GdNt1y00t3ebZ4T01dNvzL This message was undeliverable. This message has been found to be a potential spam message, and has therefore been blocked. Please visit http://ww2.coxagainstspam for more information."

Checked Outlook account settings and got response that it could login into incoming mail server but that operation timed out waiting for response from SMTP server.

Cox link included in its response discusses incoming and not outgoing email. Also, unable to reach Cox by telephone or by live Chat for this webmail problem - has Cox changed its policy regarding contact procedures for webmail issues to eliminate telephone/live chat? All assistance appreciated, thanks!

13 Replies

Zookeep
    New Contributor

I was having the exact same problem for a long time.  I checked and double checked my settings.  The solution for Outlook is when you are entering the last set of port numbers, for outgoing server it is 465,  you MUST move off that box. Click anywhere, I clicked on the box about leaving mail on server.  Anyway the point is that until you move off that port number box the port remains open ended and thus the server can not be reached.  Try my suggestion and see if it works for you.

• Hi HGW, are there any messages stuck in your Outbox? If so, delete them or save them as drafts and move them out of the Outbox. Close and then reopen Outlook. Send a test email to yourself with "test" in the subject and body of the email. If you get another error, go to Account Settings or Preferences, and find the email Server settings. Verify that the Outgoing mail server field does not contain east, west, or central. The Outgoing mail server is SMTP.cox.net. Make sure you have a check next to My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication. Save the settings, delete your test message from the Outbox, then close and restart Outlook. Please let us know if this works and you are able to send mail. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      HGW
      New Contributor

Hello to Zookeep, Becky and WiderMouthOpen. No attachments to emails. Went through account setup again as per Zookeep. Becky, tried your suggestions and got one test email through ok, then it started blocking again. Now blocking both my default cox account and a secondary cox account with same message that outgoing email is spam. I use a VPN and Avast but in Outlook test for connections I get the an internal error message for the ISP which is 552 5.2.0.  Tried sending a test email with VPN off, same result. Becky, just in case please give the correct for Cox account setup numerical settings again, including whether ssl/tls or something else. Now using 993 and 465 with ssl/tls.  Also, authentication was and is checked. Thank you for the responses and all further thoughts appreciated.

Becky
        Hi HGW, I apologize for the frustration with Outlook today! Are you sending emails to multiple recipients? The Cox email server settings are as follows:

Incoming Server Settings:
        • If you use POP, use pop.cox.net and port 995
        • If you use IMAP, use imap.cox.net and port 993
        • Use password authentication
        • Make sure SSL is enabled

Outgoing Server Settings:
        • Server: smtp.cox.net
        • Use port number 465
        • Make sure SSL is enabled

Some customers have reported they've been unable to use the Secure Password Authentication (SPA) option in Outlook's Advanced Outgoing Settings. You might try disabling Secure Password Authentication (SPA) in Outlook's Advanced Outgoing Settings. Delete any emails stuck in the Outbox, then close and restart your email utility and see if you are able to send a test message successfully. I've also heard from folks who reported they are unable to use the option “Use the same settings as my incoming mail server” in the Outgoing Server settings. You might try changing this setting to the “Log on using” option. Type in your Cox Username (everything before the “@” symbol in your email address) and your Cox password. Then click OK/Apply. Delete any emails stuck in the Outbox, then close and restart your email utility and see if you are able to send a test message successfully. If you have multiple accounts set up in Outlook, be sure to check the server settings for each account. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator