Forum Discussion

tinhajj
New Contributor
6 years ago

High Jitter / Packet Loss

I've been having high jitter & packet loss at various times and at various degrees of severity.  I play fortnite on pc and theres an option to show network debug stats.  Almost all of the time I see between 1% and 4% packet loss and there extended periods during the night where I will see between 10% and 20% packet loss on my upstream.  At these moments when I see this packet loss I'll use the cox speedtest and I'll see that I have jitter, around 100ms.

I've had a couple of techs come out and I think we've ruled out anything I have control over, my routers fine, modem, ethernet, etc.  The last tech I had come out was a more senior tech I think, and he found there was interference going on in my lines coming from the outside.  He also said there was a amatuer radio station near my house that could be causing interference. http://www.arrl.org/visit-us.  They're about 1-2 streets away from my house.

Anyways, the tech was telling me about how for upstream traffic theres multiple channels working, and they are working at different frequencies.  I think he said theres 4 total and 2 are working at 60mhz and the other 2 are working at 30mhz(maybe 32mhz).  Although I am not positive on those numbers I just remember one started with a 3 and the other with a 6.  He also said that the channels working on 30 mhz are more subject to outside noise and that Cox was doing an initiative to get all of CT to have only channels that use 60 mhz by July 11th.

Does anyone have any information on this change?  I am still seeing bad packet loss and I am wondering if the change has already happened in my area, or if I can find out exactly when the change is happening so I can better monitor my internet on the day of the change.

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    tanlucle
    New Contributor II

WOW i am going through the exact same thing, i am a fortnite twitch streamer and as of 2 months ago packet losses have been introduced and havent been able to get a solid stream going ever since. Switched out my modem, had a tech come by replace the outside lines, now its even worst. i get around 20-60% ALL NIGHT. its horrible man, wish ATT fiber was in my area. seems like its a cox issue for sure

tanlucle
      New Contributor II

let me know if you ever find a fix brother !

Becky
      Hi Tanlucle, is your PC connected via ethernet to your modem/Gateway, or do you stream via your wireless network? -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • I have this issue as well. I don't stream but I play fornite on xbox and rocket league on pc. On fortnite the packet loss varies from 1-60% (Been upwards of 70%). I've had techs out 4-5 times and each time they say something different. Its very frustrating I can't find a fix as I've looked it up everywhere. And when I call saying I have packet loss It looks fine on coxs end. An answer would be much appreciated.

MarkM1
      Former Moderator
      Michael 2679,

That is a lot of packet loss that you are seeing. Have you attempted to hard wire your Xbox to play Fortnite to see if you get the same issues there. Please also try your PC at the modem as well. Let us know what you get there.

Mark M.
      Cox Support Forums Moderator
        Michael_2679
        New Contributor

I am hard wired on both. And there within 3 feet of the modem. I have noticed since the last tech has been out is that when he moved the Filter that goes on the coaxial cable into the modem it seems worse. He moved it to the line that goes into the main cable I believe. But even when it had the filter at the modem I was having the same problem.