Forum Discussion

FRM
New Contributor II
6 years ago

Spam Infestation

I have noticed an increase is spam email coming into my primary Cox account within the past few months and have forwarded many of them to Cox's spam report, but it keeps coming in under a variety of subject lines including, Crepe Erase, Liberty Mutual Insurance, EHarmony, ABC Shark Tank, Lark Wellness, Ringing Ears, Home Warranty Special, to name a few.  The domains are obviously bogus so I'm curious as to why Cox's spam filters aren't picking them up prior to delivery and I'm wondering if others have seen a similar trend?  I have received 72 of them since May 21st!!

34 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    turboducky
    New Contributor II

me also. I have my settings to delete all spam.  Yet every day Cox sends 3 to 4 emails to my inbox which are clearly spam.  I also have Gmail  which I use.  Seldom do I get any spam.

turboducky
      New Contributor II

I tried to forward some of these spam emails to spam@uce.gov and spamreport@cox.net  (as recommended) both at the same time.  COX would not allow this email. 

COX BLOCKED IT  because they said the email was SPAM!

Cox will not block it going into my email box, but Cox will block it from going into one of their email boxes.  What this proves is that Cox is not paying for spam blocking software for their customer's email, but Cox is paying for spam blocking software to protect their own emails.

The Federal Trade Commission considers spam a crime, so they had Congress create the CAN-SPAM act. Perpetrators of spam is a crime punishable by law.  The way I see it, Cox is being an accessory to crime when they can recognize the fact these emails are spam, but still send them to their customer's inboxes.   As an ISP, Cox has an ethical obligation to be using one of the better recognized spam blocking software programs which do successfully block spam at other ISP sites.  It appears this is not being done.

LisaH
        If you are getting emails that may be considered spam, you can click the spam button on each email. Also you can create a filter for those emails as well. Check out www.cox.com/.../coxmail-spam-features.html which may also answer any questions you may have. Thanks, Lisa - Cox Support Forum Moderator
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @FRM

There has been an all around increase in the volume of spam emails trying to be delivered. A number of solutions are being explored however in the meanwhile definitely continue to mark them as such so that they get submitted for review.

-Chris
    GZ
    New Contributor III

FRM,

You are not alone. I have been getting the exact same spam you mentioned plus a whole lot more. I moved each and every one into my spam folder which was useless as they kept coming most exactly the same and some changed somewhat. I got to the point where I started creating filters for each one and so far this seems to have helped but not completely. I have over 4 pages of filters created and every day there is something else new showing up in my in-box and I have to create yet another filter. I had initially been blocking many of these spam entries but soon found out there is a limit of up to 100 and after that you cannot block any more unless you delete some entries. Delete them and they are right back again. For that matter, even blocking many of them was useless as they would reappear again blocked or not. I am just about a hairs breadth away from converting my email to Microsoft Outlook as COX does not appear to be concerned with the complaints from their customers regarding the increasing volume of spam they are getting. DO NOT open any of the spam emails and "unsubscribe". Our daughter works in marketing and she has told us in many cases if you do this your email is bundled and sold to another outlet and you will end up getting even more spam. As an aside, I don't know about anyone else but one morning (exactly when I cannot say) I checked my email and had not a single piece of spam in my in-box yet that afternoon when I checked my email again I had hundreds and I do mean HUNDREDS of spam files showing up in my in-box. NO ONE had even been on my account since that morning so where in the #!&% did all of these spam files come from?? COX??? 

RozBuds
      New Contributor III

I have been blocking for two maybe three weeks and I have 162 blocked as of today. Also as of today and it is only 10:30am I think I have blocked 10-15. Relentless! LifeLock, Shark Tank, Home Warranty, Harp and others. This is a full time job for us to keep this nasty stuff out.

FRM
      New Contributor II

I hardly use webmail since I've been using Microsoft Outlook for over 18 years.  I've blocked the senders, but the messages keep coming.  One would think that Cox would figure it out.

RozBuds
        New Contributor III

I use Incredimail never any problems and have good blocking on that however with the Cox fiasco I go to Cox webmail first and get rid of all the cxxp and then open my Incredimail. I no longer allow Incredimail to check for mail automatically. I manually have it check now. FYI...Jut got home and four Spams.

grammy_t
    New Contributor

I am getting the exact same ones as you are, even though i send to spam folder daily, they keep coming through with different domain names-- whats going on COX???

RozBuds
    New Contributor III

Spam here. SPAM Galore ever since Cox did their so called Action Required to Improve Your Cox Email in January 2018. I have never had so much ongoing, continued SPAM. It was bad before but never this bad. And it was much easier to block. I think it's a mess and for the money we pay not acceptable. Hope they get it fixed.

DallasP
    New Contributor

Same here -- same spam senders.  Outlook will stop them, but they get through to my phone.  If I leave Outlook on all the time, they will disappear from my phone when Outlook syncs.  I don't like to leave Outlook open on my PC all day.  But it sounds like no one is going to solve this at the Cox end.  

ColleenD
      Dallas, I know it's not ideal, but you can log in to webmail and create rules to manage the messages you've identified as spam, but make sure you're marking the messages as spam in webmail when you can. I've noticed the same messages in my own inbox and suspect when our mail system was migrated to the new platform, the filters were reset. Marking spam in webmail helps our spam filters learn to better identify and recognize these messages. -Colleen
        drosenthal
        New Contributor

Colleen, the amount of spam getting thru is absolutely ridiculous, but it is also unreasonable to have people pop back and forth to webmail to create a myriad of rules to block particular emails.  My wife and kids have stopped using Cox for their email already because of this and i'm about ready to dump it as well.  Seems like you've gone from blocking legitimate emails as spam to blocking very little.

lovecactus
    New Contributor II

Me also I’ve had it!!! Why arnt they picking them up it’s the same ones ...really I’ve had it!

lovecactus
    New Contributor II

I’m having so much trouble with spam also and it’s the same ones over and over I can’t understand why they can’t stop them before they get to me ( it use to be much better) I’ve done everything I can do read everything you have on it I’m 70 and am to *** old to fiddle around anymore PLEASE DO SOMETHING!! 

socal_transplan
      Contributor III

i hear you! i'm almost 71 and at this point i think i could be a tech! i've had to learn how to deal with so much **** from cox!

Nan_Cee
    New Contributor

Reading what you wrote, was like reading something I wrote myself. I’ve been having the exact same problems. Cox is no help, they treat you like a bother when you contact them about anything but especially this. They told me “Be careful where you go” as if it’s my fault I’m getting spammed to death. I’m very computer savvy so it’s insulting to say the least. Also, I love it (Sarcasm) when I attempt to block and I get a pop up that reads “Already on your block list.” Ok, then why is this getting through? For me, it’s time to nix Cox & go with AT&T.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Cox will offer a Selective Spam Rejection service...but you'll have to pay to use it...and it'll be limited to 30 addresses.  Cox is so amazing!