Forum Discussion

xenolalia
New Contributor II
6 years ago

Non-stop SPAM for several weeks

I keep a Cox email account open to monitor alerts via my iPhone X and iPad Pro2 but not in Outlook on my pcs.

Lately, I have been inclined to close that email account because for several weeks I am flooded with SPAM.

Is there a fix for this by Cox or a solution that I missed?

60 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
      CoxSpamdetectSU
      New Contributor III

hey now it's only the incoming servers that can't detect possible spam. I got a bunch that link to a valid company and sent an email to that company asking about who pays the spamer for linking to them.I was asked by the company to forward the emails to them for investigations, GUESS WHAT cox smtp servers are much smarter than the incoming servers they identified the emails i'm trying to send to the company as requested as possible spam and won't send them. either as reg emails or attachments.

NOW that seems to me like just maybe cox is being paid by the spamers to let their emails in to us. how else can you explain that.

Also forwarding them to spamreport@cox.net is a waste of time as I sent them the same spam from trusted meds over and over up to 50 at a time and still receive them almost every day.

can't wait until any other highspeed service is avail. in this area to change.....not to mention outages at least 1 a week but thats another forum topic

Jemima
    New Contributor

I have also been affected by an increase in spam in the last month or so that seems very similar to the spam that's plaguing xenolalia. Every day I get 3, 4  or 5 junk emails with a similar format. The Subject field varies but sometimes appears to be from legitimate companies (eg. LifeLock, Proactiv). The From field addresses are randomly generated and never the same for any two emails (eg. ciaaesamjmiix@mmciykftpnkt.kenhamearylarygayern.com) so I can't create a filter rule to block them. The header also contains some HTML text that consists of a random mix of real and garbage words (eg. "jelisic conceptual. wykeham gesberg manzaneque spurious chromatic fazio dithers. Middletown kerosene clumsy locandiera affolter sharpshooter wurlitz taine wentzel plectrum."). I have marked these as spam but Cox Spam blocker still lets them thru. I'd like to know if the Cox Spam Blocker is sophisticated enough to block this kind of spam. I would also like to know what Cox plans to do to stop it.

ColleenD
      Jemima, Any Spam that doesn't originate from Cox can be forwarded as an attachment to spamreport@cox.net. Cox Abuse can only take action against abuse that originates from its network.

Spam complaints that do not originate from a Cox customer can be sent as an attachment to spamreport@cox.net. The receiver may also forward the complaint with full headers to the ISP where the spam originated.
      Abuse contact for the ISP can be found by doing a Whois lookup with the originating IP at https://www.arin.net/. -ColleenD, Cox Support Forums Moderator
        Jemima
        New Contributor

Colleen, I believe that when I move an email to the spam folder within Cox Webmail it is automatically sent to spamreport@cox.net. The reason I say this is because on one occasion when I did this I got an error message stating that "the spamreport@cox.net queue is full". If so, then I've been reporting spam for several weeks. Please confirm. 

RozBuds
    New Contributor III

SPAM Galore ever since Cox did their so called Action Required to Improve Your Cox Email in January 2018. I have never had so much ongoing, continued SPAM. It was bad before but never this bad. And it was much easier to block. I think it's a mess and for the money we pay not acceptable. Just my 2 cents worth.

Chase
      New Contributor III

RozBuds, I hope management is reading these posts, because your post is exactly what's happening and it's great that you are sharing this. I phoned Cox and was told they have received lots of complaints about this, but I still see absolutely no improvement, YET. Again, thanks for your comment to help all of us who are in the same boat. (Chase)

xenolalia
      New Contributor II

Indeed the SPAM is so overwhelming that I did not check my Cox email for weeks until today which was necessary due to an appointment with a Cox tech at my house.

I have removed my Cox email from my iPhone and iPad. I travel to 7-8 countries a year and it is utter nonsense to have my inbox filled with this junk.

SickofSpamOB
    New Contributor II

This is getting RIDICULOUS Cox, come on. Just this morning I have been hammered by 3-5 per hour spam messages. And not matter how many times I go into Webmail to mark as Spam, a new one comes back almost identical, breaking thru. I had been told by a Supervisor you're moving to an entirely new system. When is this happening and what TOOLS are you going to give US your CUSTOMERS to stop this ridiculous volume of spam? Many of us have email on our desktop and devices all day and this interrupts our work day with incredible volumes of spam. Some of the titles alone should cause Cox to block them as spam, yet they just fly on thru, over and over. READ all your customers' complaints and DO SOMETHING PLEASE! Last suggn via Twitter support was "just unsubscribe to the emails" really? Come on, find us a solution!

DavidA2
      Former Moderator
      Hi Sickofspamob, we are having a known issue regarding spam right now that is being worked on. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

David
      Cox Support Forum Moderator
        SickofSpamOB
        New Contributor II

I appreciate your reply David, but you must know it's at EPIC PROPORTIONS and is worse than ever. Nothing works that tech support has advised, removing old rules and starting over, etc etc. even when I try says "an error occurred inside the server which prevented it from fulfilling the request" It's beyond an annoyance, but a total disruption for anyone that has their cox email come thru during work hours, literally dozens per hour. WHEN is your ETA on a fix? Apparently the server migration, upgrade, whatever it is, was or will be hasn't worked. Your customers are beyond fed up. Please give us a solid answer.

SickofSpamOB
    New Contributor II

WORSE THAN EVER

Even setting rules to block certain words etc don’t work

COX FIX THIS NOW ENOUGH EXCUSES

Foundry
      New Contributor II

I found the solution elsewhere (DSL maybe?) but I never got spam until recently.  All of the spam messages have the common feature of the identical name for sender and receiver.  If you can find the page for creating spam rules, just create one that blocks email with that characteristic.  Worked like a champ, no more spam of this type.  One drawback is that this will block the rare, useful email that someone might send to themselves with bccs to a distribution that the sender wants to conceal.  In the end, this begs the issue why the new Cox system can't block what the old one did.

SickofSpamOB
        New Contributor II

That doesn't work tried making dozens of rules and they're breaking right thru them all. COX WHEN IS A FIX EXPECTED?

otarakiwi
    New Contributor III

wow i thought it was just me, i have had cox for almost 20 years and i have never had such bad spam every single day,  usually 3 or 4 at a time and i forward them to cox and they still come back.  

LisaH
      Hi Otarakiwi. Thank you for being a long-time loyal customer and we do apologize that you are receiving an influx of spam messages.To assist in reducing the amount of spam, you can also mark them as spam, which will remove them from the inbox. For a workaround, you can create a filter to assist with removing spam as well. Please let us know if you need further assistance. Thanks, Lisa - Cox Support Forums Moderator
        otarakiwi
        New Contributor III

i got online every morning and mark the emails as spam and i will get another 3 or 4 in the afternoon.  i also forward to cox spam and they sill come back.  how do i create a filter?

Chase
      New Contributor III

Just imagine the number of people who don't even know about this message board who, like us, hate what has happened to our email accounts. (Chase)

otarakiwi
        New Contributor III

i know i thought it was something to do with my account.  i never signed up for a gmail account as i pay for cox and so i assumed it was spam free

CoxSpamdetectSU
    New Contributor III

I recieve lots of spam daily, I have reported them all to spamreport@cox.net I still recieve the same spam emails over and over from the same people. when I look atr my email daily and find another email from the same source I forward all of them over and over and still Cox can't seem to block them. Today i forwardes all the saved emails from trusted meds and the 3 i received today a total of 75 emails forwarded as attachments to spamreport@cox.net and the idiots will still not block them from comming in. So if you forward these spam emails to them DON'T EXPECT THAT IT WILL DO ANY GOOD AT ALL.cOX SEEMS TO BE TOTALLY INCOMPETENT when it comes to detecting incoming spam. BUT they are sure good at detecting it as possible spam if you try to forward it to the company that the email sends you to. Cox email is a joke.

Chase
      New Contributor III

I personally want to thank you, as another Cox customer, for all of the work you've attempted by the hours of time it would take to send all of what you accomplished. Even if Cox won't resolve this or explain the reason for such a major delay, it's good to read about you and other customers who have done everything in our power to give it the attention Cox should be providing or giving us a nice refund for all of our wasted hours due to this problem. Again thank you to the person posting in this thread as a customer from another customer. (Chase)

otarakiwi
    New Contributor III

i still get the same 7-9 emails a day from spammers.  I have gone under settings and done all the requirements but they still let them through.  very annoying and whatever cox did recently has pissed allot of their customers off

Chase
      New Contributor III

, I greatly appreciate your comment. I even requested management to step in since nobody from Cox can offer a solution, but that was to no avail and a long time ago. Maybe one day someone will realize this is horrible customer service and do something about it. (Chase)

CoxSpamdetectSU
        New Contributor III

Perhaps we should start sending our requests for help with this crapy customer service

i.e. instead of the experts (I use that term lightly) from cox can't do there job, of telling us its our job to program filters. I use thunderbird mail program and even if I wanted to program filters it takes my TIME to do so, and it takes my TIME to have to delete them afterward.

come on cox you can stop outgoing as potential spam so get started in upgrading the incoming servers.

• Yes I keep getting this garbage everyday.  I send everyone of them to spamReport@cox.net thinking they would do something.  They haven’t done $&@#. So coxmail is fkd

JP_Sports
      Contributor

I think I have forwarded about 500 emails so far to either spamreport@cox.net, or the phisingreport or abuse email addresses.  I must receive about 25 spam emails a day.  I have set up spam filters to redirect many of these to the spam folder, so much so that many legit emails end up there.  The two biggest violators seem to be ones from the domains mypentax.com and babyfascinating.com addresses.  If these domains were to be blocked on Cox's end, it would eliminate almost half of all spam emails.  It is so bad now that it is almost a joke.

StephanieA
        Former Moderator
        JP Sports, you can add just the domain to the block sender list. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. -StephanieA Cox Forum Support Moderator
      LisaH
      Hi New Pc Email Set Up. The best option is to mark them as spam so that this will be sent to the spam filters to update. Thanks, Lisa- Cox Support Forums Moderator
    MaryF
    Former Moderator
    Hi Xenolalia, are you seeing the SPAM coming from senders that have the same domain? Cox Support Forums Moderator
      xenolalia
      New Contributor II

It would surprise me if they showed the same domain, but I look at the subject line and delete them without further investigation. The subject lines are diverse.

MarkM1
        Former Moderator
        Xenolalia, Would it be possible to check the domain on the next few SPAM messages you get to see if they are coming from the same sender. We want to know if that is where the issue may be coming from. Mark M. Cox Support Forums Moderator