Forum Discussion

Dgdean1
New Contributor
9 years ago

How can I update the firmware on my Cisco DPC3825?

My Cisco DPC3825 is dated June 2012, recently it has been problematic.  How can I update firmware?

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

The only way to update the firmware is to have Cox push it from their side. A moderator here may be able to help with that, otherwise you would need to call Cox support and open a ticket with Tier 2. Firmware updates should be automatic, but there can be situations that interfere. 

EdwardH
    Valued Contributor
    Dgdean1, the Cisco DPC3825  is showing the current supported firmware version-150324a is the current version/build on our network. What problems are you running into with the connection?
    ---
    Dgdean1
    New Contributor

Within the past month the frequency of wifi/Internet dropping and reconnecting has increased.  I.E. cannot obtain IP address and similiar messages.  I have had to turn it off and on more times in past month then the entire time we have had it.  Any help you have for this would be greatly appreciated.  

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @Dgdean1

I'd start by trying the simplest tests first.  Do you experience the same problems with wired connections?

Dgdean1
    New Contributor

I picked up a Motorola SB6121 last night to replace the Cisco modem, is there anything I should note when switching? Thank you for all of the help, I am looking forward to enjoying the Cox internet in a much smoother capacity.

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @DgDean1

While it will be sufficient it would actually be a downgrade from the 8x4 DOCSIS 3.0 device you have now.  Real world impact would be that you're no eligible for a speed increase.  If that's not an issue for you just connect it and fill out the self-activation form you're redirected to when you try to go online.  Once our device is returned the rental charge can be removed from  your account for a small savings.

Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

Your orginal DPC3825, which is a gateway with Wifi. The SB6121 is a modem without Wifi. Do you have your own router? That would be something you would need to consider before switching.

Also, how much did you pay for the SB6121? It see its about 75$ at Walmart. If your OK with buying online the Netgear CM400 is 65$ on Newegg and is a much newer modem with 8x4 tuner, compared to the SB6121 4x4. Its also available at Walmart too for the same price.