Forum Discussion

SardonicJoanz
New Contributor III
2 years ago

HBO Max app programs will not play correctly on Philips TV

I have this app through Cox, and it does not work correctly, and hasn't for about a year.  All other apps work fine.  First, it takes forever to open, then pauses and buffers and the screen freezes and goes black.  The sound cuts in and out.  It does this literally ever 1-2 minutes.  And when it's not doing that, it's giving me an error.  I don't know how to post a picture of this, I don't have a URL for the photo I took, but it says "Title Not Available.  Sorry, we're having trouble accessing that title right now.  Please go back and try playing the title again. And it gives this code: 9be12b52-48ca-444b-e72d-010d7194f5b7 ERR-010."  When I retry to open the app and watch, I get a black screen.  I had multiple techs out last year when it was messing up, and none of them could tell me what was wrong or how to fix it.  The app plays on my phone and laptop just fine, so it is a problem with the Contour box and having to stream through this device and through Cox.  I'd like to know if ANYONE has a fix, because Customer Support via phone is completely useless.  I can reboot my box until the cows come home and it WILL NOT fix this problem.  Any help would be appreciated.

15 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

There have been many complaints in the Forum about Contour failing with Amazon Prime, HBO Max, Disney and Paramount.

If you want to steam, I would suggest purchasing a device engineered to stream.  Devices engineered to stream have better chipsets, operating systems and customer support.  Adding streaming apps to a cable-box was just an afterthought to keep subscribers from cutting-the-cord.

My Roku must be 10 years old and I've never had a problem streaming with it, and there are plenty of contributors to attest they've never had problems with their choice of device, such as Chromecast, Fire TV Stick, TiVo.  I understand having one box, one remote and voice command is convenient...but the platform is unreliable.  Techs are even coming to your house and can't fix it.

Why can't you install/uninstall apps on your Philips TV?  After a quick web search, I found plenty of how-to articles.  Is your Philips connected to the Internet?

SardonicJoanz
      New Contributor III

It just isn't an option.  I've seen those how-tos as well, but they don't apply to my particular TV.  I go into settings, and there is no option to manipulate the existing apps that are available to me.  The apps just have randomly become available over the years.  When I first got the set, there was no Hulu or Disney+ app on the screen when I would press Contour on the remote, then navigate to the Apps.  Then one day, those two were suddenly available.  The remote that came with my TV has buttons for Netflix, Vudu and Youtube, so my guess is it's an agreement between Philips and streaming providers on what apps are available and when.  I don't know, I find it odd but it is what it is.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I don't understand if we're talking about the TV and you reference pressing the Contour button.  The TV has its own operating system and apps and Contour has its operating system and apps.  Two different platforms.  The Contour box wouldn't have anything to do with steaming an app on the TV set.  You'll need to use the TV remote to navigate the TV apps.