Forum Discussion

ReadyToCut
New Contributor
6 years ago

Turns Out the Answer to Everything is Unplug and Plug-In... Even Homelife Hubs That Won't Connect

Anyone who has had Cox's oh-so-reliable internet service (maybe we can set a new standard called five *fives*...  as in up 55.555% of the time) knows the magic bullet whenever you loose connectivity or speeds go to ** is to just walk over and straight up unplug the modem, wait a few seconds (some Cox support people say 10, some say 30, some say a minute), and plug it back in.   The modem then recycles itself and voila.   It's kinda like a Windows 95... when in doubt, reboot.

So, we were hopeful when they installed Homelife that we might have a service that's stable and reliable (and simply not in need of constant rebooting).   In fact, we were warned multiple times by the technician not to unplug the device - reinforced by the fact that the hub is secured in the plugged-in position by the screw holding in the wallplate.   Well, it turns out that that whole routine is apparently just not true, and that just like bounce-once-a-week internet service, salvation with Homelife troubles can be found in the good-ol' reboot.

Did I break the rules and discover this myself?   Nope.  Our Homelife hub started intermittent losing connection a few weeks back, but it would always just reconnect.  Eventually, though, it just quit altogether.  We walked through the reconnect routine repeatedly on the app without success.   So, we figured there might be something wrong with our service or device, so we called support.  The very polite and helpful gentleman on the other end said he would walk us through some "basics" to see if we could fix it.  Much to our surpise, the first step was to unplug the device from the wall...  Long story short, after unscrewing, unplugging, waiting 20s, and replugging... voila.  Just like the modem...  only with the modem, they never told you not to do it (in fact, I think the paper instructions actually include that as a troubleshooting step).

Yup, so like any other product with similar levels of quality engineering (or lack thereof), greatly improved uptime can be achieved by the end user simply remembering that it's glitchy - and when things are glitchy, you gotta unplug/replug (reboot) every now and then.

No RepliesBe the first to reply