Upstream Power SB 6190
My speeds have been getting pretty bad on the upstream side. It's gone from 4 to 20 Mbps up and should be 30 because that's what I pay for. Had a tech here yesterday. All lines are good (they were all replaced appr. 3 years ago including the drop and tap). Tech put an attenuator on my modem at my request and raised the upstream power to BARELY adequate for this modem, it was running 38-41 and Arriss recommends minimum 45. The upstream issue was okay for a while yesterday, and today it's right back down where it was.
Here are Arriss's own level requirements:
Upstream Transmit Power Level Channel US Channel Type Symbol Rate Acceptable US Power Level
TDMA 1280 Ksym/sec +61 dBmV to 45 dBmV ATDMA 2560 Ksym/sec +58 dBmV to 45 dBmV 5120 Ksym/sec +57 dBmV to 45 dBmV
TDMA 1280 Ksym/sec +58 dBmV to 45 dBmV ATDMA 2560 Ksym/sec +55 dBmV to 45 dBmV 5120 Ksym/sec +54 dBmV to 45 dBmV
Three or more
TDMA 1280 Ksym/sec +55 dBmV to 45 dBmV
2560 Ksym/sec +52 dBmV to 45 dBmV 5120 Ksym/sec +51 dBmV to 45 dBmV
- Refresh the page at least twice to identify variations in SNR, Downstream Power, and Upstream Power.
NOTE: If the either of the signal levels are outside of the acceptable range, power cycle or factory reset the modem.
- Contact the cable provider to adjust the signal level to the acceptable level range.
Here are the levels of the modem after installing an attenuator:
Upstream Bonded Channels
|Channel||Lock Status||US Channel Type||Channel ID||Symbol Rate||Frequency||Power|
|1||Locked||ATDMA||2||5120 kSym/s||23.30 MHz||44.75 dBmV|
|2||Locked||ATDMA||4||5120 kSym/s||36.30 MHz||46.25 dBmV|
|3||Locked||ATDMA||3||5120 kSym/s||29.80 MHz||44.75 dBmV|
|4||Locked||TDMA and ATDMA||1||2560 kSym/s||18.40 MHz||43.25 dBmV|
It seems that everything that could be done by a tech on the premises was done yesterday. Although one is coming here tomorrow again, because that's just what happens when you call support.
Does this look like some adjustment needs to be made at the CMTS? Because I've had this modem for 1 year and 1 month and there was no issue and suddenly there is now. I do speed tests about once a week and this only started being an issue.
Arriss says "Contact the cable provider to adjust the signal level to the acceptable level range."
I'm really not going to go round and round with you guys like I did 3 years ago with many tech visits and no resolution til I contacted your Advocacy dept. Just the fact I HAD to go there before your people actually did a thorough job was appalling. Done that been there. It took at least 30 calls and 10 tech visits and finally a call to the Advocacy people, to find out it wasn't an issue here at all (as I knew), it was noise on the line someplace supposedly. I just won't do all this again, I will simply dump Cox, so I hope someone's gonna be looking at the CMTS this time a LOT sooner than they did before and track back where the noise is happening. I'm getting too old for this runaround I got before and simply won't do it this time.