Slowness on Win XP Systems
The speed tests on my two XP laptops were running at 2 to 6 mbps download making them unusable (am paying for 50 mbps). It was taking 2 minutes to get the Cox web page to load. Several calls to Tech Support just repeated what seemed to be a scripted response: 1. Check the Cox internal system 2. Reboot the modem 3. Run the test with an ethernet connection 4. Send out a technician (refused due to the $75 potential service charge) 5. Sign up for the customer care plan (refused due to $3 per month cost). They didn't suggest anything else so I drove to their office to exchange the modem, upgraded my wireless adapter from Wireless-G (54 mbps) to Wireless-N (130 mbps), took out the splitter to my phone temporarily, tested each of the ll channels separately, disconnected all other devices,, found the modem/router manufacturer's setup instructions to make sure my settings were correct, and spent hours searching the internet for solutions. Nothing improved the speed, except Easter Sunday when all the neighbors were in church and my speeds went to 16-20 mbps. It didn't last.
Months later I uninstalled Ad Blocker Plus from my Firefox browser. Download speeds jumped to 16-22 mbps consistently. Ad Blocker Plus was already installed when I switched to Cox, under my mistaken assumption that ads were using too much of my system resources. As it turned out for me, Ad Blocker Plus was worse than the Ads.
My XP laptops are still slow, but are now faster than dial-up and suitable for my limited needs on these laptops. I still don't understand why they still run slower than they did on my old AT&T DSL system 5 years ago.