Forum Discussion

tonguetwister
New Contributor III

Question about Contour 2 XR11 Voice Remote

Our residence's installation date is next week but there's a question I've got and have been wondering about. In our visit to the Cox store to establish a new account I was fiddling with the Contour 2 working setup there to familiarize myself with the various menus, guides and settings. I noticed that at no time did the XR11 Voice Remote's buttons illuminate so I asked the salesperson, who informed us that it isn't a current option. However, on the XR11 Voice remote page (http://www.cox.com/residential/support/tv/article.cox?articleId=16f83130-711e-11e5-d061-000000000000) "Automatic amber back light" is listed as a feature. 

Which is true? Does the XR11 Voice Remote have backlighting or not?

6 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hello tonguetwister,

I apologize for any confusion about the new remote. The XR11 does have back lighting. It doesn't require you to push a specific button to use the back light, it just does it automatically when you pick it up or press a button. In the light, it's hard to tell that it's illuminated, but in the dark it's easy to see. I apologize if that remote function was not working properly at the time.

tonguetwister
    New Contributor III

Glad to hear, that in addition to voice search, such as obviously advanced accessory also includes illumination. If I'm understanding you correctly, the very act of picking up the XR 11 activates the lighting? If so, that's reassuring, as this could also possibly eliminate accidentally pressing an unintended button merely to activate the backlighting feature.

I'm psyched to be back with Cox and finally rid of misleading fiber-wannabe DSL internet!

Thanks for the clarification, NicholeC.

• @tonguetwister,

That is correct. You do not have to hit any particular button to activate the back-lighting. It should illuminate just by picking up the remote or moving it gently. We're glad to have you as a Cox customer again! Welcome back.

tonguetwister
    New Contributor III

Thanks again, NicholeC, for giving me the low-down on the remote as well as the welcome. No need to apologize for my not being able to detect the backlighting while I was in the Cox Store; as you mentioned it's probably hardly noticeable in daylight or a fairly lit room. To activate it by merely picking it up is a welcome feature.

One further question if I may: would you know if the XR 11 accepts rechargeable lithium batteries, or does it require alkalines only?

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @tonguetwister

I don't see why it wouldn't work with rechargeable batteries however many people don't realize that rechargeables only output 1.2V instead of the traditional 1.5V alkaline batteries. For that reason you may find yourself changing out your batteries far more frequently. While I use rechargeables for almost everything myself I prefer to keep traditional batteries handy for remote controls for this very reason.

tonguetwister
    New Contributor III

In the past I've attempted to insert rechargeables into devices such as remotes and wireless mice and keyboards with negative results, which often resulted in visiting various online forums to find out why. Most all of the time the response had been "alkalines only, not rechargeables". Not very revealing, to be sure.

Long have I been a supporter of rechargeable batteries but not until your informative response was I made aware of the slight but important difference between them and alkalines.

Thanks, ChrisL