Forum Discussion

miketodd
New Contributor II
Solved

Premier Speed

Yesterday I upgraded from Preferred to Premier. On Preferred, I was getting download speeds between 55 and 60 using Speedtest as a basis, Now with Premier, I am getting 80 to 85, with everything else being the same, Ethernet connection direct to router, a Cisco DPW3925. Is there anything else I should check or change? ( I almost feel silly complaining about 80 mbs, my first modem was 6kps, or 6 baud, It took over an hour to download a two page document....) Mike
  • GOT IT! Even though I have a super fast gaming MB, the Ethernet ports were set to 100mbs by default. I updated the divers from Gigabyte and Intel, set Ethernet speed to 1000mbs (I g) and now have download speed of well over 150mbs, 167, 148, 172 on three tests. YAY COX!!!

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    AllenP
    Valued Contributor

First thought ... What are you connect with ... many laptops only come with a 100Mbps Ethernet port, not a gigabit port.  If you are connecting at 100Mbps, 85 is possible.  Make sure you test using a gigabit port and Cat6 cable.

BTW, going back, my 1st modem was 300baud with an acoustic coupler, dial the number on the phone then place the handset in the cradle   I upgraded to a 1200baud direct dial modem ... boy did that seam fast and no more phone cradle.

miketodd
    New Contributor II
    Using strong desktop, cat 5e, but will try CAT6, also looking at all wiring for bad or loose connections. Thanks Allen! Mike
    miketodd
    New Contributor II
    GOT IT! Even though I have a super fast gaming MB, the Ethernet ports were set to 100mbs by default. I updated the divers from Gigabyte and Intel, set Ethernet speed to 1000mbs (I g) and now have download speed of well over 150mbs, 167, 148, 172 on three tests. YAY COX!!!