Forum Discussion

tonguetwister
New Contributor III
Solved

Pause with on demand doesn't work for long

New Cox customer with whole-house DVR (still can't figure out how to determine its model number, but that's another story).

I was watching an episode of "NCIS" when I hit the pause button on the remote to go do something in another part of the house. Came back between 5 to 10 minutes later to discover that a generic on demand channel was on screen. No big deal, I thought, I'll just hit the 'play' button and pickup where I left, right?

Wrong. Apparently the only choice I had was to start from the beginning. This also happened with an HBO "Treme" program, only with HBO at least I was able to fast-forward!

Is this the usual way Cox' on demand works? Please clue me in.

• Hi tonguetwister,

This is not how on demand works. You should be able to pause a program and pick up from where you left off. If for some reason it gets pushed back to the main On Demand screen, when you select the program you were watching, there should be an option to Resume. I would recommend resetting your receiver by unplugging the box for about 2 minutes and then plug it back in. Allow the box time to reload. This should take about 5 minutes. Once the box is fully restored and you have your guide information pick a program and see if  you are still experiencing the issue with the pause feature. Let us know if this works. 

2 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ReneeG
    Former Moderator

Hi tonguetwister,

This is not how on demand works. You should be able to pause a program and pick up from where you left off. If for some reason it gets pushed back to the main On Demand screen, when you select the program you were watching, there should be an option to Resume. I would recommend resetting your receiver by unplugging the box for about 2 minutes and then plug it back in. Allow the box time to reload. This should take about 5 minutes. Once the box is fully restored and you have your guide information pick a program and see if  you are still experiencing the issue with the pause feature. Let us know if this works. 

tonguetwister
    New Contributor III

It may have been my naivety with a new remote and screen menu, and perhaps a smidgen of impatience that contributed to the initial confusion. 

As you suggested I unplugged and waited for the proscribed time. A bit later when powering back up and navigating to the guide I noticed that not one, but all of my previous on demand favorites were missing from the guide. I've chosen channel favorites which includes certain on demand choices as my default view mode. Good thing I keep a list handy of those channels as Contour has on more than one occasion deemed fit to arbitrarily exclude or insert channels, but that's another story.

I tried out the episode of HBO's "Treme" that I was having issues with originally; this time the program paused and behaved just as you described. Same with a network program.

Thanks for the prompt reply, Renee. I appreciate it.