Forum Discussion

Edward_F
New Contributor

Not Getting Premier Speeds

I have Cox Premier with a DSA321N modem. I have been unable to get more than 50MPS either through Wi-Fi or with my computer hooked up directly to my modem.

10 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Edward_F
    New Contributor
    Apparently no help with this post. How about does anyone know if the DSA321N I think a cisco DPQ3212 is capable of premier speeds? Thank
  • Hi Edward,

I apologize for the delay. The Cisco DPQ3212 (DSA321N) is an 8x4 internet and telephony modem capable of supporting consistent speeds of up to 150 Mbps. It sounds like you've done some good troubleshooting on your own. What are your average speed test results when testing via WiFi? What are your average speed test results when the modem is connected to your computer via an ethernet cord?

Edward_F
    New Contributor
    Becky said:
    Hi Edward,

I apologize for the delay. The Cisco DPQ3212 (DSA321N) is an 8x4 internet and telephony modem capable of supporting consistent speeds of up to 150 Mbps. It sounds like you've done some good troubleshooting on your own. What are your average speed test results when testing via WiFi? What are your average speed test results when the modem is connected to your computer via an ethernet cord?

I just ran a test with the modem directly hooked to my laptop and I received 76MPS. Better than I was getting. how do I check and see if I have the latest firmware? Thanks Ed
    Edward_F
    New Contributor
    Edward F said:
    Becky said:
    Hi Edward,

I just ran a test with the modem directly hooked to my laptop and I received 76MPS. Better than I was getting. how do I check and see if I have the latest firmware? Thanks Ed
    Sorry didn't answer all of your questions. I am averaging around 50-55MPS wifi Thanks again Ed
  • Hi Edward F,

Your Cisco DPQ3212 has the correct firmware. Download speeds of 76 Mbps when physically connected to your modem are still a bit lower than I'd like them to be. Run the Cox speed test (http://bit.ly/CoxInternetSpeedTest) a few more times with your computer connected directly to the modem and post your results. If you are still only seeing an average of 50-55 Mbps, there may be something else impacting speed. Are there any splitters on the coax cable that connects to the Cisco modem?

Edward_F
    New Contributor
    Becky said:
    Hi Edward F,

Your Cisco DPQ3212 has the correct firmware. Download speeds of 76 Mbps when physically connected to your modem are still a bit lower than I'd like them to be. Run the Cox speed test (http://bit.ly/CoxInternetSpeedTest) a few more times with your computer connected directly to the modem and post your results. If you are still only seeing an average of 50-55 Mbps, there may be something else impacting speed. Are there any splitters on the coax cable that connects to the Cisco modem?

Hi Becky, Speeds this morning at 1/2 hour intervals were 94 92 and 94. There is a splitter that the coax cable connected to the modem comes from. Ed
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @Edward F

Taking everything you've tried so far into consideration it may be time to see about having a tech come out and troubleshoot further what may be going on.

Edward_F
    New Contributor
    ChrisL said:
    @Edward F

Taking everything you've tried so far into consideration it may be time to see about having a tech come out and troubleshoot further what may be going on.

Thank you for responding. I did have a tech come and initially he told me my router we only good for 50MPS and that premier was 100. He confused me so that he finally left with me going to contact tech support. By the way he did not take any reading at all. I guess I will call tech support (again) and maybe set up an appointment. Or the other option is to live with what I get. Thanks again
    AllenP
    Valued Contributor

Edward, was the tech a contractor?  More bad info, seams like you are more likely to get bum info from a contractor than an employee ... they just want to get out of there doing the least work possible and close the call.  As Becky posted, your gateway is capable of Premier (150Mbps) speeds, not 50!

Your laptop, directly wired to the gateway, does it have a gigabit NIC or 100Mbps NIC.  I know, some HP laptops only come with 100Mbps Ethernet adapters (like mine).  That could account for the wired speeds in the 90+Mbps range.

As far as WiFi, what router do you have?  Are you connecting using wireless "n" or "ac"?  If you are using wireless "n", that would account for 50 or so Mbps WiFi speeds.  That the max real world speed for "n", if you want to go faster, you need "ac" on the 5GHz band.

• No More Cable Bills:

[Copy&Paste the link to view video]

https://www.youtube.com/edit?video_id=wROUdmO-uY8