Forum Discussion

notoriousm3
New Contributor

Lack of high def channels

I'd like to know when Cox is planning on adding more "hi-def" choices to their current limited selection. It seems unreasonable that ALL premium channels eg HBO, Showtime are unavailable in hi-def as they are with other venues.  As a subscriber I feel I'm not getting my moneys worth by paying for poor picture resolution. 

14 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    bryaninphx
    Valued Contributor

Most all of the HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz channels are available in HD ["hi-def"], you just need to replace your current Set-top-Box with one that has the Contour or Contour 2 IPG.  The older Motorola equipment and any Scientific Atlanta equipment is not capable of receiving the video format (MPEG4/H.264) that those extra channels are broadcast in.

https://www.cox.com/residential/tv/channel-lineup.html

With a Retail CableCARD device your device must support both a SDV Tuning Adapter and MPEG4/H.264

A comparison chart of all the major cable providers HD channel line-ups is located Here:
    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/1721930-official-avs-national-hd-channel-lineups-cable-dbs-fiber-iptv-updated-01-08-2016-a.html

notoriousm3
    New Contributor
    bryaninphx said:

Most all of the HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz channels are available in HD ["hi-def"], you just need to replace your current Set-top-Box with one that has the Contour or Contour 2 IPG.  The older Motorola equipment and any Scientific Atlanta equipment is not capable of receiving the video format (MPEG4/H.264) that those extra channels are broadcast in.

https://www.cox.com/residential/tv/channel-lineup.html

With a Retail CableCARD device your device must support both a SDV Tuning Adapter and MPEG4/H.264

A comparison chart of all the major cable providers HD channel line-ups is located Here:
    http://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/1721930-official-avs-national-hd-channel-lineups-cable-dbs-fiber-iptv-updated-01-08-2016-a.html

Thanks for your response I do appreciate it. I do have the cox extended cable box and do receive all the channels broadcast in hi-def by cox. The avs comparison chart you provided confirmed what I already knew. Cox communications hi-def premium channel selection IS somewhat limited. A quick glance shows about half are actually carried by COX which I feel is inadequate given the premium price charged for these channels.
    notoriousm3
    New Contributor
    wees41 said:

what channels are you looking for?

I'm looking for the hi-def transmissions of HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime, and Encore. I receive a limited number in Hi-def but not all that are offered by the networks. I believe its because Cox is only offering limited selections. I receive them all in the 200-300 range of my advanced cable box but not all in the 1200-1400 hi-def channel choices.
    Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

Cox has HD versions of all those channels. Have you checked your channel line up? Are the channels not coming in?

notoriousm3
    New Contributor

There are 9 HBO channels carried by Cox, only 3 are hi-def. There are 10 different Cinemax channels, 2 are hi-def. There are 5 showtime channels, only 1 is hi-def. It continues with similar results for starz and encore. 

StephanieA
    Former Moderator

The following is our Premium channels in HD:

1200 HBO HD

1201 HBO2 (West) HD

1202 HBO Signature HD ◊

1203 HBO Family HD ◊

1205 HBO Zone HD ◊

1210 HBO (East) HD ◊

1211 HBO2 (East) HD ◊

1212 HBO Latino HD 

1220 Cinemax HD

1221 More MAX HD

1222 Action MAX HD ◊

1223 Thriller MAX HD ◊

1225 Cinemax (East) HD ◊

1226 More MAX (East) HD ◊

1230 5 Star MAX HD ◊ 

1240 SHOWTIME HD

1242 SHOWTIME Showcase HD ◊

1243 SHOWTIME Extreme HD ◊

1250 The Movie Channel HD 

1260 Starz (West) HD

1261 Starz Edge HD

1262 Starz in Black HD ◊

1263 Starz (East) HD ◊

1264 Starz Kids & Family HD ◊

1266 Starz Comedy HD ◊

1295 Epix HD 

The channels with the diamond require our Contour service in order to tune. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

What's a Cox "extended" or "advanced" cable box?  Are you saying you don't have a mini-box?  The mini-box and certain cable boxes are not MPEG4 compliant.  Meaning, if a premium channel broadcasts with MPEG4 (compression format), the mini-box and certain cable boxes can't decode it.  All the premium channels you can view now are MPEG2.

If you want all the HD channels for HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime and Encore, you'll need to pay more with Contour.

What's the make and model of your cable box?

wees41
    Contributor II

cox has most of them but they are mpeg 4 so you need new hardware.

notoriousm3
    New Contributor
    StephanieA said:

The following is our Premium channels in HD:

1200 HBO HD

1201 HBO2 (West) HD

1202 HBO Signature HD ◊

1203 HBO Family HD ◊

1205 HBO Zone HD ◊

1210 HBO (East) HD ◊

1211 HBO2 (East) HD ◊

1212 HBO Latino HD 

1220 Cinemax HD

1221 More MAX HD

1222 Action MAX HD ◊

1223 Thriller MAX HD ◊

1225 Cinemax (East) HD ◊

1226 More MAX (East) HD ◊

1230 5 Star MAX HD ◊ 

1240 SHOWTIME HD

1242 SHOWTIME Showcase HD ◊

1243 SHOWTIME Extreme HD ◊

1250 The Movie Channel HD 

1260 Starz (West) HD

1261 Starz Edge HD

1262 Starz in Black HD ◊

1263 Starz (East) HD ◊

1264 Starz Kids & Family HD ◊

1266 Starz Comedy HD ◊

1295 Epix HD 

The channels with the diamond require our Contour service in order to tune. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

I see I have to upgrade to Contour service for equipment that I don't want to receive channels that I already pay extra for.