Forum Discussion

ipv6implemen
New Contributor
Solved

ipv6 implementation

I am trying to implement ipv6 on my network.  I have a ARIS SB6141 modem (firmware Feb 16 2016) and Linksys WRT1200AC router (current firmware from Linksys).  The modem says ipv4 only.  Linksys says I need the following parameters to implement ipv6 from my isp (Cox). .

Before enabling IPv6 on your router, you must have the following information from your ISP:

• Network Setup Prefix

• Prefix Length

• Border Relay

• IPv4 address Mask Length

Are these parameters available from Cox?  If they are not needed what do I need to do in the router to implement.  Both of these devices support ipv6.

Thanks

• The IPv4 setting on the modem is related to the 10.x.x.x IP the modem receives from Cox for diagnostic purposes. The modem doesn't process any of the traffic for getting IPv6 to work, it just bridges it. All DOCSIS 3.0 modems should be IPv6 compatible, including the SB6141. That is actually the most common model. 

As for the Linksys, you want to set it to Automatic as seen in this emulator. I also think you set 6rd to disable, but haven't confirmed that yet. Should be easy enough to test. Once the IPv6 is set to automatic, reboot the modem, then reboot the router and you should get a IPv6 address starting with 2600:x:x:x. 

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

The IPv4 setting on the modem is related to the 10.x.x.x IP the modem receives from Cox for diagnostic purposes. The modem doesn't process any of the traffic for getting IPv6 to work, it just bridges it. All DOCSIS 3.0 modems should be IPv6 compatible, including the SB6141. That is actually the most common model. 

As for the Linksys, you want to set it to Automatic as seen in this emulator. I also think you set 6rd to disable, but haven't confirmed that yet. Should be easy enough to test. Once the IPv6 is set to automatic, reboot the modem, then reboot the router and you should get a IPv6 address starting with 2600:x:x:x. 

• The required information mentioned above does not apply.  It is from an old post on Linksys.  I just set up the WRT1200AC router with the ipv6 defaults and everything is good.  I did a ping -6 www.google.com and received response from a ipv6 address. 

Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

May I ask what you set 6rd to? Or is that not a option anymore when set to Automatic(DHCPv6)?