Forum Discussion

joeprest
New Contributor

Cisco DPC3825 bridged mode

Hi:

I have port forwarding set up from my Cisco DPC3825 to my Linksys Ac3200 and it allows me to see my security cameras. Every time it rains or on occasion the Internet fails so I need to reboot to bring it back. When I do I lose access to my cameras. FOr some reason the Cisco fails to allow port forwarding. So, I would like to put it in bridge mode. Is that accomplished on your side? Does it need a firmware upgrade? So sites say it is not possible and some say it is depending on the version I have.

Your thought?

JP

4 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    AllenP
    Valued Contributor

Most, if not all, Cox supplied gateways have bridge mode disabled in firmware so it's not possible.  Since you have a Linksys router in the network, why not just get rid of the gateway and replace it with a stand-a-lone modem.  Since the DPC3825 isn't a telephone modem, any modem Cox approved for you level of service should do.

joeprest
    New Contributor

Hi Allen:

thanks for your answer. I assume that is correct. No bridge mode. So I would need to know which of those modems is recommended by support (ie16x4, 24x8 etc) I want to be able to put whatever one I get in bridged mode and be doe with it. To quote Scotty! " Warp Speed"

J

grymwulf
    Contributor II

Number one, it might end up being an IP Address issue - use a dynamic dns service.

Port forwarding should be retained in the NVRAM of the gateway, to test it - go ahead and set it up, save the settings, then pull the plug - wait 30 seconds - plug it back in.  Check the settings at that point, if they are saved, it is most likely that the IP address changed, see above comment about dynamic dns services.

As far as modems go, I recommend either the SB6141 (Premier or lower), the SB6183 (Ultimate), or CM500/600 from Netgear (Ultimate).  I have not personally used TP-Link, the current generation of Linksys modems, nor the MB line of Arris modems made by Zoom - so I can't speak for or against those.

AllenP
    Valued Contributor

joeprest said:

So I would need to know which of those modems is recommended by support (ie16x4, 24x8 etc) I want to be able to put whatever one I get in bridged mode and be doe with it. To quote Scotty! " Warp Speed"

Joe, there is no such thing as bridge mode with a stand-a-lone modem.  Bridge mode means taking a gateway, which is a combo of modem & router, and disabling the router portion, thereby, using the gateway as just a modem.  A modem is already that.  Any device on the approved list that doesn't say anything about WiFi should work.  @grymwulf gave you a good list to choose from.

@grymwulf also made a good point about IP address issues.  If, after you reboot, your modem picks up a different external IP address, you will not connect.  I haven't seen this, anytime I reboot I get back the same IP address, but it can happen.  A way to check this is to record your public IP (Google search for myip), the next time you have to reboot, check it again and see if it changed.