Forum Discussion

haleybux
New Contributor

Caller ID Not Available on Contour 2!!!

A Cox representative suggested that I "upgrade" from my old DVR boxes to Contour 2 to take advantage of a new equipment discount.  However, I WAS NOT TOLD THAT I WOULD LOSE TV CALLER ID!!!  This suggests either poor training or deception on Cox's part.  Can I recover TV caller id by switching to the older Cox Contour?  What are the advantages of Contour 2 over Contour?  

An Unhappy Cox Customer

12 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    yak
    Contributor III

I still have my Contour 1 box.  I asked on this forum if anyone had experienced both 1 and 2.... and what was their favorite.  No one responded.  So far i have not heard of any major improvements associated with the Contour 2.  There are 2 negatives:  no tv caller id; more steps needed to skip channels that you never watch.   

Maybe a Cox Moderator can tell us if the Cox Store automatically replaces a defective Contour 1 box with a new Contour 1 box?  Or is everyone switched to Contour 2?

haleybux
    New Contributor

Update.  When I use the left key to go to Notifications, a list of the last few calls with phone number and--sometimes--name appears, but no time of call is listed and no further information is available.

No banner appears on the TV when I receive a called.  (With my old DVR box a banner appeared on the TV.)

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @yak

Speaking to your questions, I moved from Contour to Contour 2 and I must say it's a significant improvement in my opinion. The platform is much more robust in terms of searching for programming and seems overall more stable. The channel skip and TV caller ID features simply aren't important to me which may be contributing to my overall satisfaction with the platform. As far as replacing equipment is concerned Contour is a whole home platform so in short, all boxes need to be either Contour or Contour 2. Contour 2 is currently our standard DVR offering and original Contour equipment will continue to be swapped as needed until such time the customer decides to upgrade or equipment is no longer available.

yak
    Contributor III

@haleybux,  thanks for the tip about using the Notifications to find recent calls.  

@ChrisL,  you are correct that searching for shows is balky on Contour 1.    Having the Caller ID on my tv is fun. It shows up well-before the phone rings for the first time. 

haleybux
    New Contributor

Update.  When my phone rings, a small banner appears in the upper right-hand corner of the screen BUT ONLY FOR 5 SECONDS.  There is no way for the user to control the display time.  Also, the TV call history still fails to include the time of the call. 

To Chris, the forum moderator: You say that TV Caller ID is not important to you.  I posted my message because TV Caller ID IS important to me.

I agree that there are a number of advantages to Contour 2 over the original Contour and over the older DVR box, but TV Caller ID is not one of them.

Haley

• Hi Haleybux,

TV Caller ID is now available for Contour 2, and I'm glad to hear that the TV Caller ID banner is now working on your TV. There are a few differences between the Caller ID platforms on Rovi, Contour, and Contour 2. As you’ve pointed out, there isn't a way to change the duration of the Caller ID banner on Contour 2 at this time. We’re hoping that feature will be available in the future.

Another difference in the TV Caller ID platforms is how call logs are stored. To view your call logs and call history using Contour 2, login to http://phonetools.cox.com with your primary User ID and password. The Phone Tools Call History gives you the date, time, and duration of all incoming, outgoing, and missed calls, and is updated every 15 minutes. Go to Using Phone Tools to learn more. Please let us know if you have further questions. We're always happy to help!

haleybux
    New Contributor

Becky,

Thank you for the information.  However, I am still dissatisfied with TV caller ID on Contour 2 for the following reasons:

1.     The new call notification message appears for only 5 seconds and is easy to miss.

2.     The time of each call is missing under the call history.

3.     The call history is automatically erased each day; the user has no control over this.

Haley

Jeff123
    New Contributor
    Okay, so some folks at least now have TV caller id? Do you have to activate it? I used to have it, but when my boxes were swapped out for Contour 2 a few days ago I lost it completely. In general, I'm really upset w/Contour 2. No manual, multiple key presses to do what I used to do with one, etc. Thinking about calling and switching back.
  • Hi Jeff,

TV Caller ID is now available for Contour 2 receivers. First, make sure you have Notifications turned on within your Settings. To verify, press the CONTOUR button on the Cox remote and use the right arrow to highlight the Settings gear icon. Press OK, scroll down to Notifications, and press OK again. Highlight the notification type to change, and then press OK to turn the feature on or off. Notification preferences must be set on each receiver. Once you are sure that Notifications are active, unplug the power from the receiver for 2 minutes, and then plug it back in. Give the receiver time to go through its boot process before testing the TV Caller ID. If you still aren't seeing a display banner for incoming calls, we may need to escalate this on your behalf.

Lolly
    New Contributor
    The Caller ID on my Contour 2 boxes had started working, but the last week or so it has stopped. I have checked the settings on my boxes and Notifications is turned on. I even turned it off and back on then reset the box and it still isn't working. What happened? It had started working then stopped recently. I rely on it and still look at the tv before answering the phone.