Forum Discussion

skyeL
New Contributor

Arris SB6190 Cable Modem - RCS Partial Service and SYNC Time Sync Failure (100% Packet Loss)

I've gone through 3 cable modems, 3 wireless routers, and a handful of ethernet cables thinking it was a problem with my hardware. I've blocked every other device on the network for troubleshooting this. It's just my PC on it, hardwired in. The internet works without issues for about 90-120seconds at a time, then there's a 30 second period where I get 100% packet loss on everything. I can't get on any websites, I get disconnected from any games I'm running, etc. Then after 30 seconds, everything reconnects okay.

I've rebooted all of my devices three times. I've called Cox and they said everything is testing fine. There's no Cox maintenance in the area and no outages. No construction in the vicinity. Is there anything I could do to diagnose this? Can I buy anything to test the coax drop in the wall or something?

https://www.docdroid.net/tJH6C5a/event-log.pdf.html screenshots of the Event Log from the modem page
https://www.docdroid.net/RFmVJY2/status.pdf.html screenshots of the Status page but I don't know what any of this means 

11 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    EdwardH
    Valued Contributor
    Skyel, are you seeing the packet loss when pinging or running trace routes to specific sites? The modems logs are not matching that as a issue the sync time outs would be a delay in the modem coming back online and the uncorrectables are not high enough to cause 100% packet loss though if it was only using channel 1 it may relate to the issue it is bonding on multiple channels so it would not be the case currently.

----
    mikepiet
    New Contributor

I am having the EXACT same problem. What ever is going on at Cox, something is very very wrong. I have been a customer for years and internet connectivity has never been this bad as it has been in the last about 10 to 12 months. Like the above poster, I have tried multiple routers and multiple cable modems thinking the problem was on my end.

Also like the above poster, a tech will visit and check the signal strength and wipe his hands and say, everything looks good here.

This issue needs to be resolved as I am using VOIP thus my phone keeps dropping out. Here is a screenshot from pingplotter showing the 100% packet loss.

**Image is linked and left cold because you image uploaded is horrid

http://imgur.com/snfS8wn

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @mikepiet

I think what you're experiencing is the effects of a latency bug being investigated in the Puma 6 cable modem chipset. More info can be found here:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31079834-ALL-SB6190-is-a-terrible-modem-Intel-Puma-6-MaxLinear-mistake

mikepiet
    New Contributor

Well, that is interesting, but I have a Netgear N600 which, according to that HUGE thread, uses the Broadcom chipset.

Can you confirm that if I rent a model from Cox, it will be free of this problem?

Thank you for the reply also!

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @mikepiet

I may have confused your modem with somebody else's. It does appear a C3700 is active on your account. The only area of concern I see there is the one wired connection that's active appears to not be fast enough to support your provisioned speeds.

mikepiet
    New Contributor

Hi Chris,

Thanks for following up. I am not sure I follow with what you are saying. I am currently running the C3700 in modem mode only. I am NOT using the router\wireless portion of the hardware.

I currently have it connected into a TP-Link N300 (TL-WR841N).

I changed it over to this mode as a way of troubleshooting. Sadly, even in modem only mode, I am still getting the spotty connection.

I have had this problem for some time now and had it with an Arris modem as well. I purchased this modem hoping it would remedy the problem but it has not.

Can we elevate this issue to a engineer or something? Perhaps monitor the connection for 24-48 hours?

I will be willing to rent a Cox modem if I could get one dropped off at my home.

Regards,

Michael

cpljp
    Contributor

Your modem is going into partial service way too many times. Seeing how your transmit powers are fine, there may be something going on in your immediate neighborhood....more than likely its already known and being taken care of. Have you seen any Cox trucks with a bucket on them in the past week in your neighborhood?

Edit: Clarifying my reply was to OP. The Puma 6 chip will cause intermittent PL and latency issues like stated, but if the modem is going into Partial Service that many times consecutively, that indicates a bigger issue

mikepiet
    New Contributor

@Cox,

Should I start a new thread?? Seems like there are a great number of threads with people having similar (although not definitive) problems?

I REALLY need to get this fixed because I use a VOIP service to speak with family overseas who have some health issues and it's the easiest way for me to keep in touch. Because of my connectivity problems, I will routinely have my calls disconnected.

Can I have a Cox technician come out and drop off a Cox modem to see if that remedies the problem? I am not having any luck with Netgear customer service even with several people there having similar problems.

Regards,

Michael Pietrzak

EdwardH
    Valued Contributor
    We can setup a technician to swap modems for you, to access the account and set it up please email us at cox.help@cox.com with the street address there. We are not able to schedule it through a public forum.

---
    mikepiet
    New Contributor

It wouldn be a swap for my modem that I purchased for a rental modem from Cox. Thank you! I have emailed that address and given them my home address as well as the link to this discussion.

Regards,

Michael