Forum Discussion

CraigP
New Contributor III
Solved

Arris SB6183 or SB6190 for Ultimate service?

I currently have Ultimate service with an Arris SB6183 modem and a Linksys WRT1900ACS router. Is there any real advantage at this time to change to a SB6190 modem? I know the SB6183 has 16 channels and the SB6190 has 32 channels. But are the additional channels available on the modem currently being used in the Pensacola market? I have read that there have been some issues with the SB6190 (and also read that they have been addressed). The price has dropped on the SB6190, but I don't to waste the money and go through the commissioning hassle if there isn't going to be any actual improvement. Any suggestions? Keep what I have or change to the SB6190?
  • If you're referring to the latency issue with the SB6190 (and all PUMA 6 devices) the issue has not been resolved as of yet. I highly recommend holding off on the 6190. Keep the 6183, wait until something like the Netgear CM1000 is readily available. Or go with the CM600 if you want a new modem now.

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    chris_c21
    Contributor III

If you're referring to the latency issue with the SB6190 (and all PUMA 6 devices) the issue has not been resolved as of yet. I highly recommend holding off on the 6190. Keep the 6183, wait until something like the Netgear CM1000 is readily available. Or go with the CM600 if you want a new modem now.

Tecknowhelp
    Valued Contributor II

FYI, hold off on CM1000 too. Stock firmware has bug that breaks connectivity on some CMTS. There is a patch, but since the modems effected can't connect to CMTS to download patch, they are DOA. No ETR on when the patch will be loaded on new modems, so I suggest waiting until they are fixed. D3.1 is going to be rough early on. +1 CM600 is best bet right now.

@chris_c21  Have you seen the video on my profile?   

chris_c21
    Contributor III

Ah yes, I did read about the new CM1000 having issues with Comcast customers, wasn't sure if it was a universal problem.

Even though he can't rap, Ken is still my guy