Forum Discussion

jtanalog
New Contributor III
12 years ago

IR Remote Control versus HDMI-CEC Dilemma

HDMI-CEC chooses the source (and its power on/off) for your HDTV based on which HDMI input has the CEC handshake.  But the 8642HDC doesn't support the handshake

Holding down the power button on the URC-8820 remote turns EVERYTHING ON... requiring you to manually (using the remote) turn off the DVD/BluRay and AUX to get just the TV and STB (set-top box).

Then I ran across a description of an AT8400 remote that can be programmed to only turn on certain devicesCan the Cox URC-8820 remote be so programmed?

Maybe the HDMI-CEC support issue will gradually solve itself., I ran across this tidbit:

End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco Explorer 8642HDC Digital Set-Top Box Legacy Products

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    ChrisL
    Former Moderator

It's my understanding that the remote can either toggle the power on all devices or individual devices only.  For my viewing needs I currently turn on just the TV and the set top box (if it's not already on) which produces the desired result.

jtanalog
    New Contributor III

After much digging thru the web I find that Cox' URC-8820 remote is made by UEI.

On the UEI page I find a device labeled URC-8820, but a different visual that Cox'

The UEI URC-8820 is macro-programmable to do partial or all on/off.

I tried the UEI codes, but they didn't work.

Does anyone know if Cox' (UEI) URC-8820 is macro-programmable?  And how to do it?

mike007
    New Contributor III

The Cox remotes have just the one preset macro program that I know of. That is the holding down power for it to cycle power on all devices.  As Far as setting up your own macro program I could not find that in the manual for the Remote I have.  I have the silver faced one not sure what model number.