Forum Discussion

PKuz
New Contributor II
11 years ago
Solved

Motorola MTR700 Problems

I have a ceton card with a Motorola MTR700 tuning adaptor. In the spring I had a problem installing the TA. The yellow light was blinking continuously. I contacted cox support and decided to swap out the TA for a new one. After switching the TA it had the same problem, blinking light. Now I had to have the tech service come to the house. To keep this short, after a month of cox tech service visits it was found to be defective TAs. They could not believe I had three bad TAs.

The current TA has been working since May but now is blinking. I am not looking forward to the same long process. 

My question is have other users had problems with tuning adapters?

Have tuning adapters failed over time?

Are they other types or brands of tuning adapters used in the CT Cox service area?

• Colleen,

I did speak with Cox tech service.  It was good to hear there is a special group specifically for these types of issues who are knowledgable with the equipment. They told me to get a new tuning adaptor which I did. The new one does work so now I have officially gone thru 4 tuning adaptors. We will see how long this one lasts. 

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    bryaninphx
    Valued Contributor

Tuning Adapters are generally very reliable.  Your issue sounds like a signal related issue. Faulty Coax, old Coax, frayed, or hard bends, loose connectors, bad splitters etc. Have you or Cox run a new line and double checked signal levels?

Most Motorola TA users recommend using a splitter instead of the RF pass-thru on the TA.

The Cox RI system is Motorola and you can only use the Motorola TA, the CableCARD and TA manufacturer must match.

PKuz
    New Contributor II

So far tuning adaptors have not been reliable for me.  I had 3 bad ones right out of the gate.  This one has worked for 6 months and now is flashing yellow.  When I originally had trouble with the tuning adaptor Cox was out 6 times.  Each time they checked the signal levels, used a new line, tried to reset it.  In the end the signal strength was fine.  The techs did want to wire the adaptor using the pass thru and each time I told them it should be wired using a splitter.  They agreed after I showed them the wiring diagram from Cox using a splitter.

The real fustrating part was that lack of training each new tech had.  I don't know how many times they said to me that tuning adaptors only work with TiVos.  Each time I had to show them the letter from Cox corp saying that Cox was moving to switched digital and that a Ceton card with tuning adaptor was needed.  I even had the RI regional manager tell me on the phone that it does not work with Ceton cards.

In the end the problem was bad tuning adaptors.  I guess I will start the process with Cox tech support.

• PKuz, 

I'd like to take a look at the account to see what's going on. Sometimes this happens if the pairing information is incorrect. I'll also be able to see if signal issues might be contributing to the problem.  Email your full name and address with city and state to cox.help@cox.com so I can get started. Please reference your forum post as well.

PKuz
    New Contributor II

Colleen,

I did speak with Cox tech service.  It was good to hear there is a special group specifically for these types of issues who are knowledgable with the equipment. They told me to get a new tuning adaptor which I did. The new one does work so now I have officially gone thru 4 tuning adaptors. We will see how long this one lasts. 

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    Great news, sorry it took so long to get resolved. -Chris