Forum Discussion

mountie
New Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

Sports Pak 2

A recent news release from one of Cox's network partners pegged the launch of Cox's Sports Pak 2 in Virginia/DC as Sept. 5.

Since this announcement, I have been trying to get any information about Sports Pak 2 from Cox that I can, including the channel lineup, launch date, pricing, and any cable package subscription prerequisites.  I have not had luck with representatives either through online chat or via telephone.

I understand that there are many moving parts involved with this launch, but find the complete lack of information to interested subscribers extremely frustrating -- especially since I would like to subscribe to Sports Pak 2 at launch.

Please: When will Sports Pak 2 launch in Fairfax/DC, what channels will be offered, what is the pricing, and when will I be able to place my order?

• wees41 said:
    Kip when this rolls out in an area willthat be the only way to watch those channels?

Looking at this announcement, I don't believe we'll be moving channels out of any Paks. I just got the announcement today for the Virginia markets. All of them (NoVA, Hampton Roads, and Roanoke) will get Sports Pak 2 on October 1. It will be $10 per month, as it is in Oklahoma.

NoVA Lineup: NFL RedZone, NFL Network, Outside Television, Universal Sports, Cox Sports TV, Sportsman Network, PAC 12, World Fishing Network
    Hampton Roads Lineup: NFL RedZone, NFL Network, Outside Television, Universal Sports, Cox Sports TV, Sportsman Network, Big Ten Network, PAC 12, World Fishing Network
    Roanoke Lineup: NFL RedZone, NFL Network, Outside Television, Universal Sports, Cox Sports TV, Big Ten Network, PAC 12, World Fishing Network

In all Virginia markets, NFL Network will be dual-carried in the Sports & Info Pak and Sports Pak 2.
    NFL RedZone will remain available as a separate package for $39.99 per season for customers who do not want Sports Pak 2, but customers who have already purchased NFL RedZone for $39.99 can add Sports Pak 2 for free for 4 months for an equivalent $40 value.
    Sportsman Network is already available in Roanoke on the Sports & Info Pak and will remain there, and will not be part of Sports Pak 2 in Roanoke.
    Big Ten Network is already available in NoVA on the Sports & Info Pak and will remain there, and will not be part of Sports Pak 2 in NoVA.
    Sportsman Network will not have an HD channel at launch in any area, but one may be added at a later date. HD channels for NFL Network and NFL RedZone are available to both Contour (formerly Trio) and Rovi (non-Contour) HD receivers. HD versions of the remaining channels will be available on Contour receivers only.

Lineups and dates for other areas are still pending.

5 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    KipK
    Valued Contributor II

Oh, dear. Who let the cat out of the bag? 

Where Sports Pak 2 has launched, in Oklahoma on 8/31, it includes Big Ten Network, Pac-12 Network, Universal Sports, World Fishing Network, Outside Television, NFL Network, and NFL Redzone. It costs $10 per month, and requires TV Essential and Advanced TV. (NFL Redzone is still available as a separate subscription for customers who don't want Sports Pak 2.)

At this point, I can't give out specifics about any markets where we haven't made an official announcement. The lineups, pricing, and prerequisites will likely be similar but there's no way to give out dates due to numerous factors involved in this sort of rollout.

wees41
    Contributor II

Kip when this rolls out in an area willthat be the only way to watch those channels?

mountie
    New Contributor

Thank you, KipK.  I understand the massive undertaking it is to change offerings.  But we are heading into a massive sports season, with college football just starting and NFL opening weekend coming up.  Any changes to the current offerings in Sports Pak 1 will have serious implications for thousands of your customers here in the DC area.  

It would be much appreciated if Cox would send out an email to all subscribers regarding these pending changes when the distribution deals and channel assignments are finalized -- in enough time for us to order new packages and learn where we can find the games we are subscribing to watch.  The current system of getting a notice in my bill is lacking something in timeliness.

For what it's worth, here's last week's announcement from the Pac-12 Network about the additional sports tier and launch date in the DC market: http://pac-12.com/article/2013/08/27/pac-12-networks-expands-reach-new-distribution-agreements-and-expanded-access  It is September 5 today -- wondering when these changes are going to take place!

KipK
    Valued Contributor II

wees41 said:

Looking at this announcement, I don't believe we'll be moving channels out of any Paks. I just got the announcement today for the Virginia markets. All of them (NoVA, Hampton Roads, and Roanoke) will get Sports Pak 2 on October 1. It will be $10 per month, as it is in Oklahoma.

NoVA Lineup: NFL RedZone, NFL Network, Outside Television, Universal Sports, Cox Sports TV, Sportsman Network, PAC 12, World Fishing Network
    Hampton Roads Lineup: NFL RedZone, NFL Network, Outside Television, Universal Sports, Cox Sports TV, Sportsman Network, Big Ten Network, PAC 12, World Fishing Network
    Roanoke Lineup: NFL RedZone, NFL Network, Outside Television, Universal Sports, Cox Sports TV, Big Ten Network, PAC 12, World Fishing Network

In all Virginia markets, NFL Network will be dual-carried in the Sports & Info Pak and Sports Pak 2.
    NFL RedZone will remain available as a separate package for $39.99 per season for customers who do not want Sports Pak 2, but customers who have already purchased NFL RedZone for $39.99 can add Sports Pak 2 for free for 4 months for an equivalent $40 value.
    Sportsman Network is already available in Roanoke on the Sports & Info Pak and will remain there, and will not be part of Sports Pak 2 in Roanoke.
    Big Ten Network is already available in NoVA on the Sports & Info Pak and will remain there, and will not be part of Sports Pak 2 in NoVA.
    Sportsman Network will not have an HD channel at launch in any area, but one may be added at a later date. HD channels for NFL Network and NFL RedZone are available to both Contour (formerly Trio) and Rovi (non-Contour) HD receivers. HD versions of the remaining channels will be available on Contour receivers only.

Lineups and dates for other areas are still pending.