Forum Discussion

Stewart_H
New Contributor III
5 years ago

Is there a list of old, outdated & retired equipment? Cox keeps sending me outdated messages but have yet to say what equipment (model # )is old. And I had to cancel Movie Pak because they removed 8 movie channels from the package.

Is there a list of old, outdated equipment?  Cox keeps sending messages but has yet to say what equipment (model #) is old.

And I had to cancel Movie Pak because they removed 8 movie channels from the package and many other channels as well.

13 Replies

KevinM2
    Former Moderator
    Hi Stewart, we'd be glad to assist you further, and let you know what equipment (if any) needs to be upgraded. Can you please include a link to this forum thread, and email us at cox.help@cox.com? Alternatively, you are also welcome to reach out to our Sales Team here, https://bit.ly/2EKuh1B. At this time, we are working on converting old phone systems to a newer platform, upgrading from the DOCSIS 2.0 modems to the DOCSIS 3.0, and upgrading our ROVI system (cable TV) to Contour TV. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

A list of "outdated" equipment would be long.  As Kevin alluded, Cox is upgrading the technology connecting your equipment.

Cable boxes:  Cox will no longer support the Rovi OS.

Telephone:  Cox is switching from circuit-switching technology to packet-switching, so you'll now need an eMTA for service.

Internet:  This gets interesting.  Currently, DOCSIS 2 is fine for 100 and 300 Mbps plans.  If you have one of those data plans, you're okay.  However, back to the telephone, you'll need an eMTA for telephone service.  Cox rarely issues a standalone eMTA anymore...perhaps they're out of stock.  Whatever equipment Cox does issue you for telephone service; it must be, by law, a free issue.  (Just don't lose it because...cha-ching! for Cox.)

Therefore, if Cox can only issue you a combo box (eMTA-DOCSIS 3), it'll be a free issue.  This will save you the cost of a new Internet modem...just don't lose it.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Would you provide us the current make and model of your cable box?

Stewart_H
      New Contributor III

Hey.....that is what I want Cox to tell me...yes I know what I have and 2 yrs ago it was NOT in Cox's equipment list.  Then a month after I looked there it was.   CISCO made the DVR....

Stewart_H
        New Contributor III

From Cisco.......This is something like I was referring to:  Unfortunately, I have this device also....is everything I own being retired........not my day is it??

Cable Modem with Digital Voice Model DPQ3212 - Retirement Notification

The Cable Modem with Digital Voice Model DPQ3212 is now obsolete (past End-of-Life and End-of-Support status).

You can view a listing of available Video offerings that best meet your specific needs

If you want support information for the Cable Modem with Digital Voice Model DPQ3212 documentation, it may be available through Cisco.com Search or in the Cisco Community

Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

I "upgraded" from Rovi about a month ago and its okay.  Contour has a few quirks but overall it's okay.  On my Rovi, however, the Auto Tune to HD feature and Closed Captioning button on the remote never worked.

With Contour, you can customized the Guide to only display HD channels.  Although there is no CC button on the Contour remote, you can tap the B button twice to enable it.  You can see my Contour review at https://forums.cox.com/forum_home/tv_forum/f/tv-forum/23219/no-screen-picture-in-picture-in-program-guide/89317#89317

Being "experienced in IT Systems," you'd understand this isn't a software replacement but instead a hardware refresh.  Cox had always used "receiver" in their messages and never "Rovi" because Cox is refreshing the hardware within their cable boxes.  For example, you're losing channels because those channels are (were) still encoded in MPEG2 as opposed to MPEG4.  Although MPEG2 is much better encoding, MPEG2 is also a bandwidth hog.  The hardware in the Rovi boxes can't decode MPEG4 content.

With Rovi, Cox had to either dedicate 2 channels for TMC (MPEG2 & MPEG4) or TMC is no longer encoding in MPEG2.  For example, with Rovi, I only had 3 HBO channels in the Program Guide because they were still encoded with MPEG2:  HBO-1, -2 and Latino.  With Contour, I have all 8 HBO channels because they're all encoded with MPEG4.

The new IPG (Contour) just comes with the hardware refresh.  Besides, Rovi requires a license fee and if it sets on outdated hardware, why should Cox keep paying the fee?

"...changes as described yesterday to me here on the forum, require a date put out 3-6 months..."  Cox started notifying you in December 2018...6 months ago.  Cox didn't estimate 1 End Date nationwide but for your market.  It appears your End Date will be June 30.

Stewart_H
        New Contributor III

Not experienced....EXTREMELY EXPERIENCED...and you are 100% supporting not informing customers about what is going on..  My TV has 2 receivers are they being replaced also??

Bruce
          Honored Contributor III

How "extremely experienced" could you be if you couldn't deduce losing channels on your cable-box to an unknown piece of outdated equipment?

Cox is now using more efficient coding for CATV...Cox is now using packet-switching for Voice...Cox is now supporting DOCSIS 3+ for optimal Internet.  ALL equipment has changed...you don't have it...and now you're dawdling with serial numbers.