Forum Discussion

OldMainframeGuy
New Contributor III
5 years ago

Is a Contour 2 device "bound" to a certain cable connection/TV set within my home?

I have two Contour 2 devices (main and satellite).   Last night I wanted to experiment swapping the two boxes on my two TV sets because I have issues with Netflix watching on the main device (video "stutters") and I don't have this problem on the set with the satellite device.

I swapped the two boxes and noticed that neither would boot.  I then noticed that I had no Cox services; phone and Internet were out.  I called Cox support and they said they couldn't connect to me to test connectivity; I then called neighbor on cell phone (also Cox customer) and she wasn't having any problems.   I put both devices back in their original location and within 10 minutes my services were back.

I suppose it could be a coincidence that I had some sort of Cox outage when I tried this but the timing seems suspect, especially since the service came back on its own (I guess) after putting both devices back in their original location?

Did I cause this mini-outage or should I be able to swap my Contour devices with my two TV sets?

Rob

5 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

It sounds like a momentary issue with your Internet modem.  If it's an all-in-one device (Internet/phone/WiFi), it would cause a complete outage.

Swap again to duplicate.

How is the "stuttering" box connected to the Internet...wired or wireless?  There are a few things to troubleshoot without relocating equipment.  You could use a wired connection, increase its QoS on the router, swap the HDMI cables, review the video settings on the TV. etc.  If you still can't correct the stuttering, exchange the box.

OldMainframeGuy
      New Contributor III

Bruce:  No, it's not an all-in-one device.  I have a cable modem and a phone modem but all of my services went out concurrently.   The "stuttering" is associated with my Contour 2 main device and it's coax-attached..and it only happens when I'm watching Netflix through the Contour app.   The video has the appearance of having dropped/frozen frames; the motion is not smooth.   I also have a satellite Contour box on my other TV and I don't have any Netflix problems with that box.   That's why I wanted to swap them to see if the problem follows the box.   The TV associated with the "stuttering" Contour 2 box is a Samsung Smart TV which is Wifi connected to my home network.  It's built-in Netflix app doesn't have any stuttering issues whatsoever but there's a known issue with my TV and the Samsung sound bar and Netflix which causes the sound to drop every once in a while.   So I get to choose between dropped sound or dropped video frames.   I'll try swapping the boxes again; if it causes another outage (I don't think it will, but) I'll have the answer to my question.   Others have posted about this same problem in the Cox forums (stuttering) so I know it's not just me.

Rob

Andrew_Wees
    Contributor III

you should have just asked cox when you had them on the phone  is Netflix still having issues? 

OldMainframeGuy
      New Contributor III

At this point it wasn't a Netflix issue; I had no services whatsoever.  The Netflix issue is ongoing and I know some other Cox customers have it; I wanted to swap the boxes to see if the problem followed the box to the other set.  My original question isn't about Netflix; I'm asking if it's valid to swap Contour boxes from one set to another after they've been provisioned by Cox.

KevinM2
        Former Moderator
        Hello, you are welcome to swap the Contour receivers at any time. I am worried that you may be experiencing signal issues, which can cause a variety of symptoms. If you'd like additional assistance, please feel free to send us an email at cox.help@cox.com. -Kevin M. Cox Support Forum Moderator