Forum Discussion

kj32
New Contributor II
5 years ago

OTA antenna ground to Cox Cable Coaxial cable?

I am in the process of terminating my Cox cable TV but keeping Cox internet and Cox Phone.   The coax enters the house where it splits to the cable modem and to the TVs. I am putting up an OTA antenna.  In the box on the side of the house where the Cox Cable has it's connections (that then go into the house) it is written "grounded at pole". I have an OTA Antenna I will put up. It says it needs to be grounded. Can I use the same ground the Cox Cable was using by connecting to the Cox Coaxial Cable outside the house? Thanks

9 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Every house has a grounding post...why not use that?  It should be near your power meter.

With your idea, if lightening strikes your antenna and the resulting surge discharges to the public-utility pole, you'd be responsible for any damages.

kj32
      New Contributor II

Appreciate your answer. I had seen advice before but none said exactly by the power meter. I thought they meant near the main fuse boxes in the house. I found the ground connection there. The problem now is that it's exactly on the opposite side of the house and carport (in the middle of our yard) from where I wanted to put the antenna. Really only one TV is important for that antenna so I planned on putting it on a mid level porch near it. Unless I put the antenna on the roof the house will block the most important direction it needs to face. That would also be a much more complicated installation. Can I tap into other things connected to that ground or does it have to be a dedicated connection? Thanks

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

You can build a grounding post.  It's just a copper post driven into the ground.  Well, it's not that simple because it has to extend below the frost line and not contact or damage the other utility systems buried in your yard.

I'm not an electrician but those are 2 things I can caution.  Your best bet is to hire a certified electrician because they'd have all the answers.

You'd also have to consider any future insurance claims if lightening did strike your antenna and destroys equipment and appliances in your home due to being improperly grounded.