Forum Discussion

hoosfoos
New Contributor
11 years ago

Al Jazeera America

Does Cox Cable have plans to add this new channel to its lineup?

Al Jazeera America has excellent news coverage and has hired respected American journalists such as John Siegenthaler and Soledad O'Brien to anchor.

3 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Trikein
    Contributor III

What Wiki has to say on the subject:

"Al Jazeera (Arabicالجزيرة‎ al-ǧazīrah IPA: [æl dʒæˈziːrɐ], literally "The Island", abbreviating "The [Arabian] Peninsula"), also known as Aljazeera and JSC (Jazeera Satellite Channel), is a broadcaster owned by the publicly held Al Jazeera Media Network and headquartered in DohaQatar.[2] Initially launched as an Arabic news and current affairs satellite TV channel, Al Jazeera has since expanded into a network with several outlets, including the Internet and specialty TV channels in multiple languages. Al Jazeera is accessible in several world regions. Al Jazeera is owned by the government of Qatar.[2] Before and after the change, Al Jazeera officials have emphasized their editorial independence from the government of Qatar, though this assertion has been disputed.[3]"

Al Jazeera claims that it is editorially independent,[132][133] though much of its funding comes from the Qatar government. In 2010, United States Department of State internal communications, released by WikiLeaks as part of the 2010 diplomatic cables leak, claim that the Qatar government manipulates Al Jazeera coverage to suit political interests.

So a government controlled media outlet accused of using propaganda for political interest and gain. Hmm, I hope not. We already have one Fox News. 

Domino
    Valued Contributor III

"...Al Jazeera America has excellent news coverage..."

Pretty strong statement about a channel that launched less than 24-hours prior to your posting. 

ChrisL
    Former Moderator

I'm not aware of any plans to carry this channel however I'll submit a channel request for you.