Forum Discussion

mharvey31
New Contributor II
6 years ago

Receiving EAS alert messages from the wrong area

We subscribe to Cox cable TV in Fairfax VA.  We receive EAS alerts for Fredericksburg, VA and Spotsylvania county.  We never receive alerts for our area.  Not only is this information useless I am sure we are not receiving alerts that apply to us.  How can we get this corrected?

8 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

EAS alerts are not assigned to cities or counties but to "broadcast communities."

A gov't agency will initiate the EAS and preselected radio stations in your area (WBAL and WFED) will distribute the alert...via radio waves...to other local radio stations and cable systems.

The alerts for Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania counties were for flooding due to rivers exceeding their crests.  Fairfax probably doesn't have a river or is not considered a flood zone.

mharvey31
      New Contributor II

I can understand what you are saying, but I still think something is wrong.  We have had Cox cable for about 3 years.  I have never received an EAS message for my area.  They have all been for the Spotsylvania area.  I know that there have been instances in the past where my cell phone has delivered a alert for weather in my area, but the cable tv never has.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Again, it's a broadcast community.  Every public and private communications service in your area has to comply.  You'll get alerts for Spotsylvania and Spotsylvania will get your rarities.

Recon
    New Contributor

Just guessing but into setting and set your zip code?