Forum Discussion

CarrieOnTheWeb
New Contributor II
6 years ago

Contour box rebooting and freezing constantly.

My TV was working great for quite some time and then last week around the 18th my box would start freezing, then the satellite boxes started freezing and then showing an error message and then rebooting the whole system whenever it wants. I have had three techs out. 2 times new boxes were put on, one guy even checked my voltage and said that might be the problem. I have tried other outlets and my other things plugged into the same outlet do not do the same thing. (Modem, phone etc). So I have no idea what to do about this. I am about ready to give up and turn in my boxes. The headache and the price is just not worth it. I even tried plugging my box into a different outlet and it still did the same rebooting dance. I have no idea what is wrong and these techs they send out just put in new boxes, poke around a few places and leave without it working at all!!!!!! 

Anyone else have this issue? Please tell me I am not alone. 

8 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Perhaps a Moderator could check the version of the OP's software.  Perhaps it's an update that either won't take or a glitch with the push.

CarrieOnTheWeb
      New Contributor II

Would be nice if it was something simple like that! I keep manually rebooting as well as rebooting by the contour settings via remote. I am now trying the Cox Anywhere app to try rebooting but really don't think there is any real difference in how it gets rebooted. About to do a *** rain dance around the thing! So annoying and aggravating for sure! 

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Rebooting, resetting and re-provisioning are different troubleshooting processes.

You could log onto your Cox account and reset your cable box.  Resetting reloads the software.  If it still freezes, you could call Cox to re-provision your cable box.

It sounds like its failing an update process.

ChrisL
    Former Moderator
    @CarrieOnTheWeb

What your describing sounds like it's going to be either a wiring or equipment issue. I'm thinking it may be necessary for another technician to come out and do a follow up visit. It's quite possible the previous technician missed something.

-Chris
      CarrieOnTheWeb
      New Contributor II

Yeah but 4th time having a tech come is a little disheartening that they can't figure it out at least by the third time. I'm going to call tomorrow and set something up. I'm about ready to give up. 

CarrieOnTheWeb
    New Contributor II

My cable is back up and running again. Turns out that the cable connector was too long and the technician had to go and snip the lines and make the connector thingy shorter and the signal was restored. I am sure he did a few other things too but I do not know what that was. I was out of TV for 12 days. Kinda sucked. But now not so sucky lol ;-) 

JonathanJ
      Former Moderator
      @ CarrieOnTheWeb

That great news please let us know if you have further issues.

Cox Moderator