Forum Discussion

JamesDH
New Contributor III
6 years ago
Solved

I've had three Contour 2 DVR receivers and like the others this one is now constantly freezing

I don't know what it is about the cable boxes that Cox rents out to me, but every single one of them becomes defective within a year of having it. I have been a loyal Cox customer for over 20 years and the condition of the cable boxes and DVR receivers thst Cox rents out to me - every single one of them - becomes defective after a few months of usage and like the last two Contour 2 DVR receivers that I ended up signing up for after I was told by Cox I had to upgrade all of my services at higher prices with new rental Contour 2 DVR equipment to accomodate Cox's switch over to all digital formatting this latest one is now freezing on me one, two even three times a day forciing me to do constant signal resets. It always happens when I am scrolling through the Demand guide for too long looking for movies and tv shows. It is clear that the problem is caused by Cox connecting the Contour 2 receivers to the internet service I also have with Cox and the Contourr receivers quickly becoming outdated and worn out like outdated computers do when their disc drives become old and become outdated and begin to freeze up. Why Cox rents these used older model Contour receivers while charging ever increasing outrageous prices to +20 year loyal customers is beyond me. I HATE IT. Would any of you go to a store and buy a 2014 model computer for 2018 prices? I wouldn't, but that is what this situation parallels.

One other thing, Cox forced the all digital format on us a few months ago without any choice while raising prices om us, but then Cox broke the contract I had with them that I pay for in DVR recording and stations I pay for where non-formatted Standard definition older Tv programs and movies don't fit properly onto the tv screen and the ability to change the screen ratios of those non-HD formatted programs to fit the larger TV screen is now blocked by Cox. So. not only am I paying for another defective Contour 2 box, but I can no longer watch programming I paid for on the forced HD digital formats.

Becky
    6 years ago
    Hi JamesDH, there are different schools of thought on whether rebooting an electronic device will prevent glitches. Rebooting devices like modems, routers, cable receivers, computers, tablets, and cell phones will often clear software glitches, which is why technical support agents suggest power cycling the device as your first troubleshooting step whenever a device fails to function correctly. I haven’t rebooted either of my DVRs in over a year. I power cycle my modem and router only when I have an issue connecting to the internet. I’m glad you have a tech scheduled for tomorrow. Please let us know how it goes! -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
  • I was writing a long reply and suddenly the forum site changed and I lost my entire reply that I was writing which is extremely upsetting. Something is definitely going wrong with my service and the technician did not solve when he came to my home and swapped out the Contour 2 receiver with another. Right after he left my TV screen once again froze while I was going through the TV guide. He didn't even address the WiFi router issue which was the reason Cox sent him out here per the notes written by the phone tech that my my Cox wireless router was resetting every two hours. When he called the Cox dispatcher they could not find any history of my router resetting itself every two hours, yet that is exactly what the phone tech said he saw from his end when he made the appointment to send someone out today. I called Cox back to say my TV froze again when scrolling through the guide and this phone tech didn't even know the Contour receivers connect to the internet so he didn't think the router was an issue. i told him, well what computer or router is the service connecting to when the Contour 2 guide displays Netflix app and connects it to the internet to use, the same with the displayed youtube app. So, the picture freeze issue was not fixed by changing Contour 2 receivers. Additionally, I asked him to check on my daily usage to see if it is exceeded to correspond with the tv issues and he told me there was an unusual spike of my daily usage yesterday of 20gb. That's impossible. I never even exceed to 2gb per day when I am using my mobile device computer all day. I am very concerned with a security breach at Cox that is disrupting my personal services. I've never even come close to exceeding my service usage limits EVER in the 20 years I've been a Cox customer. Ever since Cox made me switch over to this Gigablast wireless router under the guise that I had to becsuse of the transition to all digital telephone service and then they told me I had to rent from Cox their wireless router if I wanted to continue having wireless internet for my wireless devices instead of my own device I've had endless problems with all three of my Cox services, TV, phone and computer. Now, I think my sevices could hacked via the router as there is no way my daily usage could jump ten times what I normally would use at the max. And Cox keeps changing the displayed apps in the Contour 2 guide such as adding Netflix which connects to the internet, youtube which connects to the internet, Caller ID displays on the tv via the phone service which runs thru the router and the other apps like Stock and Weather in the Contour guide are now non-functioning. 

7 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
  • Hi JamesDH, I know how frustrated I become when my DVR doesn't work the way I expect it to, so I apologize for the added stress during your holiday season. Based on your symptoms, it does not sound like this is a DVR hard drive issue. Searching for content in On Demand requires clear, two-way communication between the DVR and the Cox network. The fact that your DVR only freezes during this action points to a problem during the communication process. Any irregularity in the signal to the DVR while you are searching for On Demand content may cause the DVR to freeze. Since something as simple as a loose connection could trigger this, disconnect the coax cable from the outlet and the back of the DVR, and then reconnect both ends. Screw the coax until it is finger-tight. Are there any splitters on the coax connection to the receiver? -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      JamesDH
      New Contributor III

The Cox tech is coming out tomorrow to check the equipment as they think the Cox WiFi Gigablast router is now defective which I had installed just over a year ago. That's why my phone is acting up too when I dial out. The phone tech says the router is resetting itself every two hours on its own which should not be happening.

JamesDH
      New Contributor III

Tech also said I should be unplugging the router and Contour2 box at least once or twice every month because it will keep running even when not being used which can cause glitches in the equipment. No one has ever told me this in all the years I have equipment.

Becky
        Hi JamesDH, there are different schools of thought on whether rebooting an electronic device will prevent glitches. Rebooting devices like modems, routers, cable receivers, computers, tablets, and cell phones will often clear software glitches, which is why technical support agents suggest power cycling the device as your first troubleshooting step whenever a device fails to function correctly. I haven’t rebooted either of my DVRs in over a year. I power cycle my modem and router only when I have an issue connecting to the internet. I’m glad you have a tech scheduled for tomorrow. Please let us know how it goes! -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator