WHY Can't we purchase our own Set top SMART Boxes with DVR functions instead of the OFFENSIVE and OVERPRICED RENTAL of DUMB Boxes with NO DVR Function per TV from cox?

WHY Can't we purchase a set box (INSTEAD of that offensive RENTAL that COX keeps charging month by month -- and now once again RAISING the prices on) that combines both the Tuner and DVD Recording functions that will work with cox instead? I'd rather pay up front one time charge .. instead of WASTING my hard-earned income on RENTING This absolutely DUMB BOX That does NOTHING at all. THIS is especially frustrating with other providers not requiring this kind of 1960s money-grabbing low tech and charging us forever for out of date units. (And yes, it offends me that this was added when just running the cable itself into our smart TVs was sufficient). I am SICK And TIRED of COX overcharges (and yes, I NOTICED Another massive increase in the current bill .. THAT is offensive too given how bad the customer service and service is ..)