Forum Discussion

djs26977
New Contributor
6 years ago

Live pd

Why is Live PD delayed? It doesn’t make sense to delay a show that is suppose to be LIVE. Watching live and following along on Twitter is part of the experience. I switched from DirecTV not long ago and this is one of the many things that really disappoints me. On DirecTV, Live PD is actually LIVE.  What’s the deal? Any chance Cox will get their act straight and start showing LIVE shows live?

9 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Live PD is not "actually" or "truly" live.  A&E could not live-broadcast a dead body, someone exposing them self, using an x-word, an undercover agent or a child's face.  It's live footage from the field but transmitted to the A&E studio and recorded, edited and delayed from a few minutes to several hours.

For example, Dan Abrams said, "Let's go live to Calvert County..." where the footage was late afternoon; however, as I was watching it "live" on TV, it was dark in Maryland.  I don't recall watching any nighttime footage from Salinas, CA

If you were watching on DirecTV in Arizona, you were watching an east-coast feed.  It's similar to the east coast watching an NFL game at 1 PM and you at 10 AM.  Since switching to Cox, you're now watching a 3-hour delayed west-coast feed from the A&E studio to your west-coast headend of Cox.  A&E wants us to watch Live PD during our respective broadcast primetimes.  What we watch live during our primetime is nowhere within your primetime.

djs26977
      New Contributor

Bruce, I understand it is not truly live and on east coast is delayed a little to bleep the bad words and hit the mute button to keep an address or social security number from going out live. And at slow parts they show edited pieces from earlier in the day or earlier in the week, but it is advertised as to be interactive. In fact viewers have tweeted about seeing suspects dropping or throwing items as the officers are not looking and the show informs the officers on scene to look for those items. They ask viewers to tweet questions for special guests, they answer questions posted about specific laws or slang terms. You cannot interact with the show when it is 3 hours later. What I am saying is exactly what you point out with live sporting events. They start when they start and you are watching at the same time I am watching, your clock says 1pm and mine says 10am.  All I am asking for is when they go on air at 9pm from the A&E studios in New York, I can start watching in Arizona even if it happens to be 6pm. I did it on DirecTV. If that was an East Coast feed why can't I get that on Cox. If people don't want to watch "Live" at 6pm they can always DVR it. Either A&E or Cox is missing the boat here. Don't advertise as a "live" interactive show and then show it 3 hours later.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I agree...all fans should watch Live PD "live"...but that's not how cable works.  To cut-the-cord, I'm researching streaming services and A&E has to be in the offering.  Just about all streaming services offer A&E except YouTube TV and PlayStation Vue.

I was considering DirecTV Now but after reading the subscribers' reviews, I'll avoid it.  They hate it.  I'm currently considering Hulu with Live TV at $39.99.  It has everything I want except Comedy Central but I can live without it.

Anyway, if you want the east-coast feed, check the applicable streaming forum to verify and then cut-the-cord.

As far as fan interaction, the questions are 90 minutes into the show.  That's plenty of time for eastern and central viewers to submit questions...just not mountain and western because the show hasn't started yet.

I wish officer Alyssa Wright would come back on the show.

• Hi Djs26977, new episodes of Live PD air on A&E Friday and Saturday at 9pm. What do you mean by delayed? Do the new episodes not begin at 9pm? -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      djs26977
      New Contributor

Becky, by delayed I mean it is not LIVE. On DirecTV it starts at 6pm on A&E, it IS truly LIVE. The whole concept of the show is to watch it as it actually happens, LIVE. It is in the title of the show I don’t understand why Cox would wait 3 Hours to start the broadcast of a show intended to be watched LIVE, as it happens. Why can DirecTV do it and Cox cannot or is that Cox will not do it?

You cannot interact with the show and other viewers on social media such as Twitter if you are watching 3 hours after it happened. And 3 hours after they have all watched it LIVE. 

“LIVE PD”.  Not “3 Hours later PD”

LisaH
        Hi Djs26977. I have confirmed that the broadcast that we are getting from the Network for Live PD is delayed. We have no control over the timeframe we receive the feed for this show. - Lisa - Cox Support Forums Moderator
      djs26977
      New Contributor

Becky just another point is that I live in Arizona so there is a time difference. East coast is live at 9pm and it would be live in Arizona at 6pm as it was shown on DirecTV at 6PM.