Forum Discussion

MoodyPing
New Contributor
6 years ago

Possible to downgrade box?

Currently I have a contour 2 box, upgraded from an SA8240HDC. Picture quality on the SA was pretty good, I can see the details clearly. On the contour 2 box (XG2) the picture seems very soft and in fast moving scenes, there'd be some pixelation but signal levels were good. So, is it possible to downgrade to the legacy box or contour 1 at least? I haven't had the first contour system but I wonder if picture quality is good.

8 Replies

• Hi MoodyPing, you can swap your Contour 2 receiver for a Contour 1 receiver, if you like. The Legacy SA receivers are end-of-life and soon to be retired. Before swapping the receiver, however, I'd make sure that the Contour 2 receiver settings and your TV video settings are giving you the best possible picture. To access the Contour 2 video settings, press the CONTOUR button on the Cox remote. Use the right arrow to highlight the Settings gear icon, and then press OK. Highlight Device Settings and then press OK. Use the down arrow to highlight Video Display, and then press OK. Choose the video output resolution that best matches the capabilities of your TV. Also, using the remote control that came with your television, access the video settings menu of the TV and play around with the picture quality options. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
        Becky
        Hi MoodyPing, picture quality is subjective. That's why I suggested playing with the settings until you find what looks best for you. First of all, make sure you are using HDMI cables. What is the brand and model of your TV? Your TV probably has multiple picture preset modes that change the way your picture looks. Experiment with each preset picture option and choose the one that looks best to you. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
    Bkind2others
    New Contributor II

I agree I would check to make sure that your TV video settings are set to the highest quality, that was my Dads problem, and it fixed his issues. When he switched to the contour 2 box, his TV somehow reset itself, it took me a little while to figure it out lol. Hope you get yours fixed soon.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Do you have any "enhancement" settings enabled on the box, such as Prefer Best Available Resolution or Background Darkness Level?  Navigate the Contour settings for anything affecting video or 1080p.