Forum Discussion

Bobbbbbb
New Contributor
6 years ago

Selecting under 1000 channel jumps to corresponding 1xxx channel and displays error

Not long ago, the channels under 1000 were switched to HD which is fine.

The problem is when I tune to channels under 1000 (e.g. ch 9), sometimes it jumps to the 1xxx channel (e.g. ch 1009) and then it displays a message I'm not subscribed to the channel. I then hit the "last channel" button and it goes back to the under 1000 channel (e.g. ch 9) and displays fine.

Two problems: (1) it should NOT jump to the 1xxx channel and display an error. (2) I lose the ability to go back to the actual previous channel using the "prev channel" remote function. It will only go between 9 and 1009 even if I was watching channel 5.

This bug has been around since they changed the under 1000 channels to HD.

11 Replies

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Two clarifications:

1.  If you're on channel 5 (0005 FoxHD) and only press 9 on the remote, it goes to channel 1009 (SD)?  That's weird because your box is adding 1000 to your input.

2.  With the Not Subscribed message displayed on channel 1009 (SD), you press the Last Channel button and it goes to your originally-intended channel 9 (0009 CBSHD)...or it returns to channel 0005?  Was that a typo?  You were on 0005, then on 1009 and then to 0009.  That's 3 different channels.  After pressing Last Channel, it should have returned to 0005.  I'll assume a typo.

I would like to also assume your box didn't finish the channel remap...but adding 1000 to your input is odd. Even before the remap, it wouldn't add numbers.  Corrupt remap or not, I would exchange the box just for adding digits to your inputs.

Unless there a customized  favorites preference overriding and redirecting your channels, exchange the box.

Bobbbbbb
      New Contributor

If I am on channel 5 and then switch to channel 9, it goes to 9, then jumps to 1009 (really fast). I cannot go back to channel 5 using the 'prev channel' button because it will jump to 9.

For the error message on 1009... if I manually enter 1009, it will usually display the content without error. It's only when it erroneously jumps to channel 1009 that it displays the error.

When they changed the lower SD channels to HD, it just never worked right. They should just get rid of the 1xxx channels altogether and remap the DVR/favorites.

There are a few other related and unrelated bugs that drive me nuts, but this is the one that really looks bad from a customer perspective.

Exchanging the box is something I try to avoid because of my DVR and skipped channel preferences. It would be nice if Cox would save these preferences on the server instead of on the box but of course that would make too much sense.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Oh, it jumps from 9 to 1009 so 9 then becomes the previous channel.  Besides redirecting to 1009, that makes sense.

I agree safe cloud-storage for troubleshooting would make too much sense.  We're just subscribers.  What do we know.  People at Cox are smart...like computers!

What is this Skipped Channel preference?  (I still have Rovi because it's not "new and improved.")  Would you be willing to delete those and any set favorites to troubleshoot?  Something on that box is causing it to redirect.  Maybe just anything related to channel 9.

Bruce
    Honored Contributor III

Do you have an Auto-Tune to HD feature on your box?  If so, try disabling it.

I'm sorry I didn't think of that before.  I have the feature on my Rovi but it's never worked.  If I press 9 on my remote, it goes to channel 9, which is CBS in standard definition.  If I want CBS HD, I have to press 1009.  It'd be nice if it worked.

Bobbbbbb
      New Contributor

There is no auto-tune, channels are programmed remotely by Cox depending on the subscriptions.

Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

I didn't mean Auto-Tune as in auto-scan.  Auto-Tune to HD is a set-top box feature.  Before remapping...when all HD channels were 1000+...you'd press 9 on your remote (CBS SD) and the set-top box would automatically redirect to 1009 (CBS HD).

I found the instructions to enable/disable and the following UI have the feature:  Advanced TV, Contour, Contour 2.

It's nice you don't have any SD channels!

www.cox.com/.../using-auto-tune-to-hd.html

• Hi Bobbbbbb, HD Auto-Tune is unavailable on Contour 1. The "not subscribed" message is puzzling, as it hints that the DVR is having trouble accessing its entitlement list. Have you had Cox Technical Support troubleshoot this issue since it began? Does it happen on both DVRs? If you'd like, I could send an entitlement hit to the DVRs to see if it helps speed up the channel-changing process. This type of box hit would not erase your saved Favorites or Skipped channels. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

That's true.  I didn't know Bob's platform so didn't click the Contour-1 link.  Although it's listed under Select Your Receiver Type Below, you click its link and it reads "unavailable."

His DVR can access its entitled channels; however, it sometimes displays an error when it mysteriously redirects to another channel.  Why is his Contour-1 redirecting...or as I foolishly assumed, auto-tuning...to another channel?

Bob only sees the Not Subscribed message when his Contour-1 redirects to another channel.  If he direct-dials to a 1000+ channel, no message.  If he direct-dials to a sub-1000 channel, Contour-1 sometimes redirects to a 1000+ equivalent and displays the message.  Sometimes.