Forum Discussion

Mark556
New Contributor
6 years ago

ROVI boxes being retired

My 77 yo mother started having issues with one of her TVs a few days ago, so I came over and rebooted the box as I have had to do in the past. No success after three tries so I took the box out for her, and she took it to the local Cox store Friday. She called me at work , and I talked to a Rep at the store that said she would need to change all of her boxes from the Rovi boxes to the Contour ones. He also said she should have received two notices about this impending change,.....she did not get ANY, as she always saves these things for me, so this caught me totally by surprise.

First off, why is it that the Rovi boxes are no longer available, and second, how do I 'activate' the three new boxes after I change them out tomorrow. I'm afraid of taking all the TVs out, instead of just the one that is down now. We were told that all three boxes would need to be switched over at the same time, not just the one that started this whole thing. We were also told that all of the Rovi boxes would cease to work at all by the end of the year if we didn't swap them. Any info is appreciated.

Thanks!

9 Replies

rlgrot
    New Contributor III

Sadly, we are stuck with Contour. I loved the ease of Rovi and like the use of Contour on my iPad. But Contour is not user friendly (stop and slow motion)) and capturing a program in the middle and still watch from the beginning. 

• Rovi boxes are being phased out as they are older and do not support some of the technology that we are currently offering. At this time either the original Contour or Contour 2 receiver would be given out to new customers or someone that needs to swap out a receiver if they had Rovi previously. Once you connect everything you can call into tech support to have it activated.

Brian
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      Bruce
      Honored Contributor III

You're overlooking one critical aspect of Rovi:  it works.

If Rovi is phased out, would I still need to pay the rental fee?

BrianM
        When Rovi is completely phased out I doubt they would continue working at that point and would need to be traded out for Contour equipment.

Brian
        Cox Support Forum Moderator
        Bruce
        Honored Contributor III

Ha-ha!  i wonder if "traded out" means thrown threw the window of my nearest Cox Service Center?