Forum Discussion

tomb993
New Contributor
6 years ago

Contour 2 box doesn't respond and sometimes give error "having trouble connecting to your receiver."

This has been happening a lot lately.  I press a button on the remote, I see the green remote light on the box, but the box doesn't do anything.  Sometimes it just takes a while, sometimes it never responds.  Sometimes it executes all the button presses I've made while waiting for it to respond.

Changing the batteries (or just wiggling them) seems to help sometimes, even when they are still pretty new, so this might be a remote issue.

Sometimes I get a message along the lines of "having trouble connecting to your receiver" along with an error code.  It says to try again in a while and/or reboot the box.  I want to take a picture of the error, but it disappears before I can grab my phone.

Is this a signal issue, remote issue, or problem with the box?

12 Replies

• Hi Tomb993, it sounds more like an issue with the signal to the receiver rather than a problem with the remote control. Are there any splitters on the coax connection to the receiver? If so, you might try replacing the splitter and see if that clears up the issue. Make sure all connections to the receiver are finger-tight. If the problem continues, I suggest a service call so an on-site tech can troubleshoot further. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator
      tomb993
      New Contributor

Thanks Becky,

I will reseat all connections from where the drop cable enters my house to the cable box.

Is there a way to get the cable box to show the signal strength?  I have the Arris XG1.  I Googled for that but didn't find anything that worked.

Tom

Becky
        Hi Tomb993, I believe you can access the diagnostics menu by pressing and holding the Exit button on the remote until you see the word “live” on the screen. Press the down arrow two times, and then press the # 2 key. -Becky, Cox Support Forums Moderator