Forum Discussion

IntenseNV
New Contributor II
6 years ago

Software Change With Contour Favorites Option?

This is so frustrating.  Until yesterday, i had no problems with viewing only the channels that I had "favorited" under that guide option.  Basically, i favorite HD channels and a few standard def channels.  i do not favorite sports or spanish language channels.  No problems until yesterday. 

Now, everything is screwed up.  I pressed guide, favorite channels, and all of a sudden i see ALL of the standard def channels highlighted!  I rebooted the box.  Same problem.  I notice now that when i favorite a HD channel, the standard def mirrored channel also is favorited.  Conversely, when i un-favorite a standard def channel, say CNN channel 20, the system will ALSO un-favorite the HD equivalent, 1020!!  This NEVER HAPPENED until yesterday!! This is awful.  I hate this.  PLEASE tell me this is not a permanent change!   

When i change the guide setting to HD channels, i get ALL HD channels, even those that are not favorited.  I don't want this!  So frustrating!!!  i called technical help, the guy was nice, but said the only thing he can do is put in a ticket.  In other words, i doubt if i will ever hear anything again. 

This is moving me one step closer to Direct TV. 

12 Replies

Replies have been turned off for this discussion
    yak
    Contributor III

I am seeing the exact same thing.  I don't use "favorites"; I prefer the Skip Channels option ( I have a Contour 1 Record 6 DVR).  I have doubles of every entry on the Guide.  It lists channel 10 and channel 1010.  when I tried to remove 1010 from my Guide, the DVR refused. I tried over and over.  sometimes a channel would be gone for a few minutes but reappear soon.  As to your final sentence, My brother just left Direct tv after many years.  don't be in a hurry to change.  

IntenseNV
      New Contributor II

at least i know i am not the only one.  Thanks for your reply.  Whomever was in charge of this change is stupid and does not have the customer first attitude.  Don't they have focus groups or whatever to find out what customers want and how they use the system?  Just absolutely ridiculous. 

• Hi IntenseNV,

As of June 19th, changes were made to the channel lineup that impacted the location of High Definition (HD) channels for Contour receiver customers. When you tune to a Standard Definition (SD) channel you will receive High Definition (HD) programming. This is a result of the video format being dual-mapped so that the HD channels are also set to the SD channel location. The mapping change will allow you to see the HD format when tuning to the SD channel or the HD channel location. When an HD channel is available, the HD channel will replace the Standard Definition channel that is currently available below channel 1000. Channel positions of networks that do not have an HD version will remain unchanged. The link provided below is your current channel lineup.

www.cox.com/.../Las-Vegas.pdf

Maria L.
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      IntenseNV
      New Contributor II

it does not answer the question.  I want to set favorites of certain channels and any channel that i set in HD automatically also favorites the standard definition.  That is ridiculous.  You did not answer how i can over come this.  I have contour 2.  Do i have to now downgrade to contour 1? or even the older box? 

IntenseNV
      New Contributor II

i used to favorite 100 channels or so, now i have to scroll through 200!!!  If this cannot be fixed, i must leave Cox.  Who was responsible for this ridiculous change!!!

ayanomich
        New Contributor

All you have to do is favorite the HD channels you want to favorite, you should not have duplicate favorites.  For example, if you favorite ESPN channel 30 which is now HD, you should not have a channel 1030 on your favorites guide.  When the change was made the other day, any four digit HD channel you had as a favorite should have automatically converted to whatever SD channel it mapped to.  Any four digit HD channels that you still have as a favorite cannot  be mapped  to an HD channel on the SD side, so the four digit channel stays as a favorite.  At least in Vegas that's the way the guide is, I do not see channel 1030 anymore, all I see is channel 30.

UpsetCoxCustome
      New Contributor

I have to agree with IntenseNV. This change is stupid. I only want to surf though one set of channels not the SD and HD of the same channel. Too frustrating to essentially double the channels with the same programs. Needs to be corrected ASAP!!

MarkM1
        Former Moderator
        UpsetCoxCustomer,

We do apologize that you are not happy with the changes that have taken place. We do hope that in the future you will see how this will improve the customer experience. It will improve the access to shows & movies with higher quality pictures as well as a shorter more direct channel numbers.

Mark M.
        Cox Support Forums Moderator
    kurt99
    New Contributor

I have the identical problem. It started when the channel relocation update was installed in my Contour box on June 19, 2018. Cox tech support initially diagnosed the problem as a defective Contour box. A new box was installed and it didn't fix anything.

That's when I discovered that the Favorite Channel information is NOT stored in the box! Cox keeps track of this info in their central computer. Another Cox tech support rep admitted that it is a known software issue and an update will be automatically installed at some later date.

In the meantime I managed to get things working again by programming (selecting) BOTH the low and the high channels; channel 10 and 1010 for example. This also means that you now have twice as many channels on your list.

I have not been able to find an easy way to program the channels as they have a habit of randomly appearing and disappearing. Start out by selecting all channels and then clearing all channels. Program all your channels, low and high, at the same time. Repeat as necessary - it took me about 5 tries.

Hope this helps, Kurt

yak
      Contributor III

kurt99,  thank you for that information.  I am glad that I did not swap my Contour  for a new one.  I did not know that Cox kept the Favorites ( also the Skipped Channels) in their central computer.  that should make it much easier to fix.  it took me 10 tries before the channels stopped randomly appearing and disappearing.  cox employees said that the lower channels will be easier to use, but only today I figured out that I need to enter 0005 to go directly to channel 5.  if I enter 5, I have to wait 3-4 seconds before the channel will change; as it is waiting to see if I am going to input any more numbers after the 5. .