Forum Discussion

vabeacher
New Contributor
6 years ago

Contour remote channel select

When using the remote keypad to select a channel, it pulls up the search screen and then I have to select "ok" to go to that channel  It's an extra button to push.  On my second client unit, the channel select goes directly to the channel.  This must be a setting somewhere but I can't find it.

4 Replies

• That is not a feature of the contour 2 system (for either a host or client). It comes up with the menu that you mentioned as you can search using the keypad and is intended to work that way. I double-checked and did not see any kind of settings to make it work the way that you are describing. The box that you are able to control in this fashion, is this a mini box by chance? That type of box would allow for the channel to change by just pressing a channel number without clicking ok.

Brian
    Cox Support Forum Moderator
      kusdane
      New Contributor

Yet another reason why I'm switching back to Record 6 today (about 2 "pros" to Contour 2, and about 12 "cons" - no joke - so much functionality and performance is missing in Contour 2)

vabeacher
      New Contributor

On my Contour client box when I touch the "12" keys, the channel changes to channel 12 and the menu stays on the screen for a little while, in case I go on to search for, say "12 Monkeys".  However, on the host box when I touch the "12" it does not change channels until I touch the OK key.  I don't have a problem with it either way, I just would like it to be consistent. 

Additionally, the voice control is a nice gimmick, but since you still have to pick up the remote and push the voice button, it is not that useful.  Would be great if it had "Alexa" functionality and I could just say "Cox, Channel 12 please".

kusdane
        New Contributor

Agreed. The voice command is a gimmick.  I have had Siri on my iPhone for years, and rarely use it.  The voice command is handy to get to say, the Netflix app, so you don't have to dig through a menu (a lagging and non-intuitive menu, at that!). 

Compared to the Record 6, the Contour 2 is ridiculously slow changing channels, and even powering on the box itself (it buffers with "Connecting to Live TV"), which, I can't believe in order to power off the box, host or client, you have to press the button on the box!  And on my host, if I manually power off the box, and then press "Power all", only the box and my TV power on -- not my soundbar. 

It's a glitchy and slow Comcast clone.  Thank goodness I got my Record 6 boxes back today.  While those were sometimes a bit "skippy" with audio (and recently video, which I've read, is something affecting a lot of Cox users just of late), at least they work "smoothly" and are as instantaneous as you can get.

I ranted about the missing features and performance in the Contour 2 in another post last night.  In fact, just joined this forum after being a Cox customer for 18 years, because I was so frustrated with the time and effort I wasted switching to Contour 2, and today, switching back to Record 6. 

Sorry if I hijacked your post!  Just frustrating.